24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Biggest Battery That Will Fit In a 98.5 CTD Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest Battery That Will Fit In a 98.5 CTD Ram?

Although it's no longer our primary CTD Ram, we try to stay on top of our 98.5's health. The truck is presently in need of a pair of new batteries and -- considering that we've had lots of grounding issues in the past -- I was thinking about buying larger threaded terminal batteries this time around. Yes, they're large, but they're also much cheaper in these parts and have better specifications than most of the 34/78 batteries that are specified for this truck.

So, if anyone reading this has gone to a larger battery, I'd appreciate hearing some productive thoughts on the matter...and a photo or two would be even sweeter.

By the way, the batteries I'm looking at are Group 31 and, specifically, are 13" L x 6-3/4" W x 9-1/4" H.

Thanks for your time,
B&W

Last edited by B&W Ram; 02-08-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default bATTERIES

I don't know what to tell you but I'm in the same fix as you, so maybe you can help me. What batteries did you buy and did they work out as you wanted? Please advise.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding Is the Thing

Hello Kerley,

After [perhaps a bit too much] research, I came to the conclusion that there aren't a lot of "great" storage batteries available. So instead of investing a fortune for a pair of specialized batteries, I decided to buy a pair of NAPA/Deka batteries that I know will fit easily into our factory battery trays. Please see the link for the applicable specifications: Battery Link.

Having retired from a career in the electrical field, I can't possibly emphasize the importance of proper grounding enough... so, instead of using the old lead battery lug terminals that are traditionally found in these trucks, I cut them completely off of the heavy factory (copper) cables and invested the money we saved on batteries into high-quality battery terminals and accessories. Given the advancements in car audio systems, improvements in storage battery connections were sure to follow. In short, I am very happy with these modifications -- they are clearly superior to what came with the truck.

If this sort of modification is of any interest to you, let me know and I'll spend more time covering it for you.

Have a good one,
B&W

Old 05-02-2016, 06:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B&W Ram
Hello Kerley,

After [perhaps a bit too much] research, I came to the conclusion that there aren't a lot of "great" storage batteries available. So instead of investing a fortune for a pair of specialized batteries, I decided to buy a pair of NAPA/Deka batteries that I know will fit easily into our factory battery trays. Please see the link for the applicable specifications: Battery Link.

Having retired from a career in the electrical field, I can't possibly emphasize the importance of proper grounding enough... so, instead of using the old lead battery lug terminals that are traditionally found in these trucks, I cut them completely off of the heavy factory (copper) cables and invested the money we saved on batteries into high-quality battery terminals and accessories. Given the advancements in car audio systems, improvements in storage battery connections were sure to follow. In short, I am very happy with these modifications -- they are clearly superior to what came with the truck.

If this sort of modification is of any interest to you, let me know and I'll spend more time covering it for you.

Have a good one,
B&W
B&W Ram,Thank you for this information. Kerley