24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

hotrod vp44 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hotrod vp44 questions

Ok I just recently upgraded to the hotrod pump. I need to know what the best set up is for my smarty so I don't end up with too much added timing on my truck. I've been told the hotrod pump already has added timing right out the box so I've been using my smarty on settings with no timing added. But I still feel I can fine tune everything and get it just right. Like in my options menu on my programmer in the timing, duration, torque, and speed limiter. What should I set those at to get the full potential out of the truck. I'm running airdog 150, 100 horse sticks, stock charger with a wicked wheel, cold air intake, and nv5600 with duel disc southbend

Old 01-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok I finally got the answer to my question. I contacted a tech from Firepunk and he explained that the hotrod pump doesn't advance the timing on the truck. Which I had my doubts about it doing that anyway but hey better ask and be safe then sorry. The only thing that the hotrod pump has related to added timing is just the capability of holding up to a great amount of added timing and pump stretch.....basically just more fuel flow. So needless to say I'm back to running my smarty on 9.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

This is news to me gonna have to investigate. I would imagine that the key way on the shaft would be in the same location, just not sure where the idea of more timing came from but I have heard this before but can't remember where. thanks for the update.

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 01-19-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Diesel Fan

The keyway is definitely in the same location the shaft is the same size and everything the only difference is the hotrod pump is a bit more girth to it because it is made to have the ability of massive amounts of fuel

Old 01-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Diesel Bomber

Still working on this there is so much miss information out on the web I am still getting facts together.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:18 AM
Diesel Fan

Yeah I know I searched the Web as well and obviously I didn't find any solid info so I called Firepunk Diesel and talked with the tech and when I asked him he was basically like who the hell told you that

Old 01-20-2016, 11:54 AM
Diesel Bomber

There is some credence to it adding Timing in certain instances, (are you ready for this cause its still gives me a headache) the 1998 and 1999 24v engines came in two HP's and both HP's have a SO VP44 pump (Standard output) no matter what trans they had.
Then in 2000-2001 24v had a HO VP44 pump there were also two HP's if you had the manual trans it was the higher HP because of the new NV5600 trans with 13" clutch plate. There are other things that happen also like piston compression,turbo,injectors etc but don't want to put all that in this post.
OK so what this is leading up to is the HO pump has more timing advance or pressure or flow etc.(still looking for some numbers from the Bosch Yellow Jacket) than the SO if a person is replacing A SO pump with a HO pump it will idle a little rough but is OK. From what I have heard so do the HRVP's which makes sense because the SO engines are different and just putting the HO or the HR VP's on could cause drive ability issues without any mods to support the change in fueling.
As far as I can see so far the HRVP44 is the same as the HO with some extra care given to flow matching and tolerances.
I am figuring that this has been taken out of context over the years and miss information has been so widely spread that it will take a while to sort out. I am going to try to get more details and I am writing all the facts down into a nice post some time in the future.
I am leaning toward the truth being run the HRVP44 like any other VP and set the smarty on what ever level you want it isn't gonna hurt anything. I will get the complete details together from all the real world experience's and bench test information as soon as I can.
By the way for the really serious Drag and pulling guys the SO,HO,and HR pumps quit fueling at 4000 RPM so along came the monster and the Dragon fire .
Nice post about the VP specs is coming!!

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 01-20-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
There is some credence to it adding Timing in certain instances, (are you ready for this cause its still gives me a headache) the 1998 and 1999 24v engines came in two HP's and both HP's have a SO VP44 pump (Standard output) no matter what trans they had.
Then in 2000-2001 24v had a HO VP44 pump there were also two HP's if you had the manual trans it was the higher HP because of the new NV5600 trans with 13" clutch plate. There are other things that happen also like piston compression,turbo,injectors etc but don't want to put all that in this post.
OK so what this is leading up to is the HO pump has more timing advance or pressure or flow etc.(still looking for some numbers from the Bosch Yellow Jacket) than the SO if a person is replacing A SO pump with a HO pump it will idle a little rough but is OK. From what I have heard so do the HRVP's which makes sense because the SO engines are different and just putting the HO or the HR VP's on could cause drive ability issues without any mods to support the change in fueling.
As far as I can see so far the HRVP44 is the same as the HO with some extra care given to flow matching and tolerances.
I am figuring that this has been taken out of context over the years and miss information has been so widely spread that it will take a while to sort out. I am going to try to get more details and I am writing all the facts down into a nice post some time in the future.
I am leaning toward the truth being run the HRVP44 like any other VP and set the smarty on what ever level you want it isn't gonna hurt anything. I will get the complete details together from all the real world experience's and bench test information as soon as I can.
By the way for the really serious Drag and pulling guys the SO,HO,and HR pumps quit fueling at 4000 RPM so along came the monster and the Dragon fire .
Nice post about the VP specs is coming!!
awesome post! Lots of great info. I knew that once the 6spd came along they started putting HO pumps on the trucks. But I still find it hard to believe that if you buy a hotrod pump it advances the timing on the truck when u bolt it on and plug it in. The ecm tells that pump what to do. The keyway is in the same location. I mean this isn't no P7100 here . So I'm with you I strongly disbelieve it adds timing it definitely has the capability to withstand more added timing from a programmer or chip, and is built for more fuel flow. It doesn't have its own little computer that tells the ecm what to do . And thanks for the drag racing tip.....sorry about that. I'd hate to see what "timing" those pumps add

Old 01-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot rod pump does mechanically what any chip does electronically. It adds more power by means of more timing. But your chip adds more timing also. Say for example (cause I'm not sure the exact *) your truck runs stock at 12* timing, you then add a hot rod which is built to inject fuel at 15* timing. Ok sweet little extra hp. But then you put on a chip that tells your pump in initiate injection at 18*. Awesome, even more power!. But weather SO, HO or HR, your chip is still telling it to inject fuel at 18* so the extra money spent on a HR is now wasted cause your chip is taking care of the timing.

On top of that, hot rods are knows to be temperamental and not as reliable as a good ol sovp. Keep the money in your pocket and get another so when the time comes.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by fuze24v
Hot rod pump does mechanically what any chip does electronically. It adds more power by means of more timing. But your chip adds more timing also. Say for example (cause I'm not sure the exact *) your truck runs stock at 12* timing, you then add a hot rod which is built to inject fuel at 15* timing. Ok sweet little extra hp. But then you put on a chip that tells your pump in initiate injection at 18*. Awesome, even more power!. But weather SO, HO or HR, your chip is still telling it to inject fuel at 18* so the extra money spent on a HR is now wasted cause your chip is taking care of the timing.

On top of that, hot rods are knows to be temperamental and not as reliable as a good ol sovp. Keep the money in your pocket and get another so when the time comes.
Alright so your saying to some point what I've been saying. But in my opinion my money wasn't wasted I am completely satisfied with the hotrod pump. I'd never buy a junk Bosch SO or HO pump again. Yeah sure the HR pump may be similar to the HO pump but definitely pushes more fuel and is built to handle way more timing then both oem pumps. As far as being temperamental, I haven't had any problems with it what so ever. But I also have other components on the truck such as injectors and airdog to work with the HR pump so it functions correctly. Honestly when it boils down to it the stock fuel system on these vp trucks aren't very good. Sure the stock vp44 can handle upwards 500+ horse......but eventually the added timing and fuel you have to put the stock vp44 through to achieve that horsepower will eventually ruin the pump......trust me mine literally blew apart. I went through two stock vp44 pumps neither of them lasted more then two years. I'm not here to argue or not agree with others opinions. But in my experience with the stock pumps they let me down every time