24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Can I get the skinny on lift pumps and the vp44?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

There are two pumps one in the tank and one on the block. You have changed both? or just the tank unit multiple times?

Old 11-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

You should only have 1 pump. Either located in the tank or the block. You should not have both.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel
There are two pumps one in the tank and one on the block. You have changed both? or just the tank unit multiple times?
There's another lift pump on the block? Just thought there was one in the tank and the injection pump on the block. .my son's 12 valve didn't have one in the tank just on the block. Dodge didn't say anything about it either.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBass
There's another lift pump on the block? Just thought there was one in the tank and the injection pump on the block. .my son's 12 valve didn't have one in the tank just on the block. Dodge didn't say anything about it either.
They started with the pumps on the block. Then after a ton of failures they moved them to the tank with a retrofit kit. It was just as useless as the block mounted pump.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by gh0stman
They started with the pumps on the block. Then after a ton of failures they moved them to the tank with a retrofit kit. It was just as useless as the block mounted pump.
What's strange is I get pressure intermediate on 25 second , and primed it runs. Then When It supposed to switch to the run wire loose pressure. I have also replaced fuel relay fuse. It seems like I don't get voltage, but when I check it at the plug that attaches to the lift pump I have voltage 13.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 AM
Diesel Fan

If you want to keep your vp44 going absolutely don't waste your time and money on an oem lift pump. I'm a prime example. When I first bought my truck it had a stock lift pump. A month later I lost the injection pump. I bought a stock vp44 and an airdog 150 lift pump. Never had an issue after that. But just recently the plug on my airdog shorted while driving down the road causing my injection pump to fry and literally blow apart. So it just goes to show you what can happen if the vp44 doesn't get the fuel and lubrication it needs. So needless to say I fixed mine and took to chance to upgrade in the process but I just wanted to share the info with you so you know not to go cheap on a lift pump and keep the wiring dry

Old 01-19-2016, 11:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by gh0stman
You should only have 1 pump. Either located in the tank or the block. You should not have both.
Actually most of the early VP trucks have a in tank pump (walbro) and a Lift (carter) block mounted pump. That is why most guys go with a big line kit and a draw straw to eliminate both.
There is a few threads on this subject from back in the day and the above was my experience on my 99.
https://www.dieselbombers.com/98-5-0...dont-walk.html

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 01-19-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a '99 with the original on-the-block lift pump replaced with the in-tank pump on a factory recall. I did what absolutely everyone said and installed a fuel pressure gauge and was horrified to find I had about 4 PSI max. I immediately ordered a Fass, and the extra cool thing is you can get it with a water separator and a big spin-on fuel filter, and it mounts on the frame just behind the cab. That location means you can reach it easily and you can put a bucket under it and catch all the spillage when you drain the separator or change the filter, instead of the waterfall cascade of fuel going everywhere when you try to do it on the stock filter on the side of the engine. Eliminating the stock one also clears up the driver side of the engine quite a bit.
It wasn't cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than killing the injector pump and a tow home.

That seems to be the theme with these trucks... you have to do all sorts of expensive things, to avoid spending even more later.