24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

I have 2 Q's I hope you guys can help me with..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have 2 Q's I hope you guys can help me with..

1st and most important keep in mind this does not happen all the time, when I go to start the truck after it has been sitting for awhile it will just keep cranking like it is not going to start and will crank slow like a dead battery and then like normal but will start after about 40 sec. to a min. of straight cranking on it. Do I have a glow plug going bad, batteries going bad, VP44 on its way out (I do have good pressure all the time with it)? Any help would be great thanks..

2nd is yesterday it was hot where I live I think it hit 100 while driving the truck around my brake and abs lights came on and would not shut off, I got to my house and checked everything, was not low on fluid nothing was unplugged but all the brake line and ext. were too hot for me to touch. We planed on going up wheeling and have a bond fire but I was iffy to take it but I did when we were leaving about 1 in the morning or so it had cooled whey down by then I noticed the lights shut off and did not turn back on the hole way home 50 or so miles. So both of the problems have me stumped please help me.... Thanks again

Old 05-18-2008, 01:33 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

I'm clueless on the brakes.

On the starting problem I would start simple and go have your batteries tested. Make them pull them from the truck and test them this way they are sure to get a reading off of them individually and not pulling from both batteries. To many shops don't understand dual batery systems and test them wrong. 2 bad batteries sometimes make 1 good one and that's how the testing shows up.

I would also check the air fiter and make sure it not gettin clogged up. If it's startin to clog it may just take a few seconds for the truck to pull enough air in for the sensors to let the truck start.

It's always a good thing to check for codes also. Auto Zone or some of the other shops can pull codes for you and check the batteries all in one stop.

No glow plugs in your truck. If you installed new glow plugs at some point I bet I know what the problem is. Our Cummins trucks use a single grid heater in place of glow plugs like the inferior models.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:34 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Cummins don't run glow plugs. They have is what's called a grid heater. Do the key cycle, on-off-on-off-on-off really fast and see if you got any codes. How old are the batteries?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Diesel Fan

The batts. are from 05 some les Schwab things, a friend of mine has a nice battery tester and I have disconnected both battery’s and tested, they both pass and have the cca's they should I even replaced the wire from the drivers side to the pass. side battery and the connectors.

The air filter is new less then 3 months old B.H.A.F. OH YA!!

I do have one more question I have noticed my truck leaking from the passenger side from a tube/pipe coming out of the fire wall. It just started doing this recently it is clear so I know it is just water I am thinking it is from the a/c but I just started using that yesterday and it is more water then I think should be coming from a/c

Old 05-18-2008, 02:17 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Condensation is normal. As far as the slow start in the morning, weak starter, dirty/corroded connections, bad cables. Try running a batt. maintainer at night and see if that helps.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Replace that return line banjo bolt ma-hoosit (technical term) I'll bet it could possibly have something to do with it.
Have you replaced the fuel filter? moms had a leaky o-ring on the filter housing,and it started bad after it sat for a while.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

you could be losing prime in the injection pump. does it start right up after you turn it off? or is this only an issue after a few hours or more?

Old 05-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Diesel Fan

After it starts, every time after that it will just fine. Here is an update on the brake light issue, it was hot again and the brake or ABS lights did noy come on (I HATE WIRING PROBLEMS LIKE THAT!!!) Thanks for all your help, I didn't think of a fuel filter..

Old 05-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Diesel Bomb
The batts. are from 05 some les Schwab things, a friend of mine has a nice battery tester and I have disconnected both battery’s and tested, they both pass and have the cca's they should I even replaced the wire from the drivers side to the pass. side battery and the connectors.

The air filter is new less then 3 months old B.H.A.F. OH YA!!

I do have one more question I have noticed my truck leaking from the passenger side from a tube/pipe coming out of the fire wall. It just started doing this recently it is clear so I know it is just water I am thinking it is from the a/c but I just started using that yesterday and it is more water then I think should be coming from a/c
Your starting problems are likely to be solved by getting those codes but I will tell you about the condensor vent line. Do yourself a favor and extend that line down to the wheel well or the condensate will hit the cooler air out side, condense and go back along the vent line into the cab and make the passenger floor all wet and moldy - not fun.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money

I have a 02 dodge that does not mant to start all the time too what i did to fix it was to change the batts and that seamed to fix the problem for bout 6 months but now my lift pump is going out

Quick Reply: I have 2 Q's I hope you guys can help me with..