24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Air wont bleed and leaking return line

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air wont bleed and leaking return line

OK so I replaced my injectors last night and been messing with the truck since with busted knuckles now.
I found out my lift pump wasnt coming on so I HotWired it to my battery and I get fuel pouring out where I loosened the bolt on low pressure inlet on vp44. I have injector lines 1,2, % 3 all cracked open and not getting fuel still.

I was thinking maybe the return lines leak "near the block" I'd causing it to not start but I tried ether and it ran for 3 seconds then shut off.
Please help me I'm broke from this truck

Old 02-07-2015, 07:02 PM

Bump bump

Old 02-07-2015, 08:49 PM

Nobody? Just looking for help before spending money on a vp44 that I might or might not need. I'm out of ideals and **** to check

Old 02-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well as we know if fuel can leak air can get in, and these VP44 pumps are very unforgiving beasts. I just bought a 2000 with 290,000 miles on it. I drove it home, but man this thing had low pressure fuel leaks everywhere. I changed the o-rings and gaskets on the filter pot, new low pressure lines and still had issues. ran the codes and found the crank sensor was bad, changed it and she ran like a new truck. Until it was warm, then she would not pop off for nothing. After many times of bleeding it down I could make it run, until it was warm. I was getting weak pressure on the high side, so I finally broke down used my spare VP44 and she has not stopped running . I believe the pump was ruined because the owner before me starved the VP44 and this caused weak/low pressure when warm. anyways stop any leaks at all, then if that does not work and you have no codes, look hard at the VP44. Good luck

Old 03-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you replaced injectors on a 24v before? It's not black magic but the sequence is very meticulous for a reason. If you dont get the connector tubes and injectors lined up correctly they will leak air like crazy resulting in no start and causing you no end of problems. You are correct in suspecting the return lines as well. Make sure your lift pump has adequate pressure. Fuel coming out of the ip inlet line is not the same as correct fuel volume at correct pressure. Some lift pumps will flow at open discharge but as soon as they are deadheaded against the ip they will fall flat on their face. You may also want to install ,temporarily, a piece of clear hose in the inlet line right before the ip and bleeed it just to make sure your lift is not sucking air and aereating the ip this can sometimes effectively air lock the ip and make bleeding difficult. Hope it helps.