24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Fuel pressure question

Hey guys I am wondering if its time to replace my lift pump. My digital readout on my quadzilla was all over the place,anywhere from 28-43. I was told this truck has a factory lift pump on it yet and was replaced shortly before I got the truck as well as the IP. This is what I was told. I knew after talking to some of you that there was no way my lift pump if stock could be putting out those numbers. I called a local diesel shop and they said the sensor was probably bad and I should replace it or check with a mechanical guage. Made one up at work and checked things out, its 2 F and I had the truck plugged in. When started it came up to 8-8.5 psi. When I revved it up as high as 2800 a couple times it would drop to about 3psi with no load. Long story short I am on a budget and need to be heading to Western ND with a 20,000 lb load Friday or saturday. Any one tell me if im on the right track and can I consider a FASS DRRP? This should be better than the Carter and hold up better right? Any feedback would be awesome, Thanks Guys!!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check the sensor too my edge did the same thing when my sensor shot crap on me

Old 02-03-2015, 04:16 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

The DRRP should help you make the trip. If I were you I would start saving for a FASS 95 or 150. Both are well worth the piece of mind they provide. My 95 holds strong with 18 PSI 9 time out of 10. The most it has fluctuated was plus or minus 1 psi. Good luck on your trip and lift pump.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

The sensor is bad I am sure especially after I put the mechanical guage on and the tuner was on the truck before I got it. I don't hot rod around with the truck i keep it set on 2 for pulling my loads as that seems to give me the best power with out getting too crazy. I know on genos garage website it says the fass replacement is for stock but will i hurt myself at all by using this pump with the tuner on 2? Hate to say it but I have to be cheap right now but want the best i can get for less money. Really can't afford to take out an IP.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:01 AM
Diesel Wrench

As long as you can keep an eye on fuel pressure you should be fine.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the Fass DDRP and I run about 25 at idle and a solid 20-22 running 65-70 mph pulling my hay trailer with fourteen round bales, approx 6.5-7 ton plus trailer weight. The oem fp's are junk and will cost you a new vp44 for sure. My fass is four years old and has not missed a beat.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I went ahead and picked up the FASS DDRP yesterday and a buddy is gonna put it on for me today. I'm hoping that i caught this early enough to still get plenty of life out of the IP. The diesel shop that sold it to me claimed it will hold up fine to just my tuner even if I take it to 5 although I dont plan to. Lets hope they are right!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Got the FASS installed and was a little disappointed as my readings aren't quite what I expected. At Idle I am holding 14 and WOT no load it drops to 8.5-9. From what I read though this should be satisfactory to keep my VP healthy am I right?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:15 AM
Diesel Wrench

Your WOT reading has me a little worried. But your idle pressure is fine.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'm coming to the determination that it could be my guage so i am gonna try one of the guys at the shops really expensive guages. That being said the only thing i did not do is replace the fuel filter when I installed it. Trucks runs good and everything seems to work as it should. My question now is is there a chance the fuel filter could be affecting my readings. I just want to make sure I don't take out this pump as that is not in the budget at the moment. I hate when previous owners don't do proper maintenance!

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure question