24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

my first 24v

Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default my first 24v

Hey guys just picked up my first 24v. im usualy a 12v guys i have a few of them but came across this 98.5 for cheap money so my question to you 24v guys is what are the things to look for on these things? the guy i bought it from said he didnt the fuel pump 13k miles ago the truck has 113k he put a fuel pressure guage in it but it just seems to bounce around at 10-15 , the trans seems to be doing someting fishy also only when its cold it will feel like its slipping in gear and it wil hold gears longer but when its warms up and or i go around the block a few times its does fine shifts fine

thanks

Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Typically this trans issue sounds like a sensor issue. Hows the fluid look?

Old 01-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

fluid is good.. right on the money.. the guy bought the truck brand new and did nothing but drive it unless it broke.. so im asuming he never changed or flushed it was thinking of maybe a flush new filter and fluid for a start.... ive heard of people buying those sensor kits on ebay it seems like for some people it works wonders and other dosent do anything, so i realy dont want to waste the 130- 150 bux for nothing.

was also wondering what people are running for tires on there stock 16" rims.. i have a set of those old p30 bread truck 19.5 rims but 19.5 tires are expensive as hell!! and those stock 215 look horible they look like donuts!

Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I would look at upgrading the fuel system, just for piece of mind. If it hasn't been done already. If you starve the VP it will die. And when it dies you will hear a large sucking sound, as it pulls all the money out of your wallet.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely upgrade the fuel system. Worth every penny or $100 bill.

My trans does the same thing, it feels as though it winds up before shifting when cold, only first gear though. I haven't worried about it because once the truck gets warmed up it shifts perfect. Although when I pull out my driveway I don't have to slow down until I'm about 5 miles down the road.

Do not starve the VP. Upgrade the fuel system.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i will deff up grade the system what do you guys recommend? and air dogg?, fass?.. what about guages is it worth gettin them or should i just buy one of thos edge att. programmers. what exactly does it do anyways are there diff setting any power gains? or is it just somehting to monitor the motor? like i said before ive had 12v my whole life so im new to the whole computer plug in toys
Thanks for the input guys

Old 01-13-2015, 04:08 AM
Diesel Wrench

First get a FASS, don't even bother with airdog. Gauges ISSPRO. If you are thinking about a tuner and you want gauges get an Edge juice with attitude. The EJWA on these trucks adds 120HP and 350lbs/ft. There are 5 different levels, 6 if you get the hot unlock. Google it or look it up on youtube

Old 01-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with the trans. not wanting to shift. I changed the fluid and the filter and its shifts great now, Don't forget to take care of that fuel system too. I replaced my vp44 about 6 months ago. Probably the best choice I've made. If you decide to replace your vp44 definitely get one from blue chip diesel, the guy is a genius when it comes to them and they have the best product from what I've seen. I've had my truck for almost 2 years and have put almost 7k into it without touching the transmission

Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

hey guys thanks for all the input.. was going threw the truck last night all new filters and fluids and the new fuel filter seemed to have stoped the fuel psi guage from jumping around now she holds steady at 12psi sitting at idle..

i also discoverd a little box next to the ecm it seems to be spliced into the computer it sais dtt on it.. from my google search it could be a number of things any one know what it could be maybe for the trans? its little and black has 2 wires coming from it and dtt all over it

Old 01-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Diesel Wrench

Probably DTT noise filter that assists in canceling out the AC noise that causes the torque converter to lock and unlock erratically.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my first 24v