24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default can anyone help?

I will be replacing valve springs soon on my 98.5 24v and was wondering if the is a way of doing it without head removal? I know you can pressurize the cylinder but does it need to be regulated or could I just put that cylinder in tdc?

The following users liked this post:
geatgavi (12-27-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

There is a tool that can compress all the valve springs at the same time so you can replace them at the same time.
You can put in a price request in the vender section here for one. Or talk to a shop and see if they can loan you one.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97cummins
There is a tool that can compress all the valve springs at the same time so you can replace them at the same time.
You can put in a price request in the vender section here for one. Or talk to a shop and see if they can loan you one.
I already have one. I just need to know how to keep the valves from falling in

Old 12-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you put it at tdc and the pressurize the cylinder the air will push the piston down. Just pressurize it and let it rotate to the bottom of the stroke. I would guess there is a tool for airing up the cylinder or you could make one out of an old injector I suppose.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cumminsf150
If you put it at tdc and the pressurize the cylinder the air will push the piston down. Just pressurize it and let it rotate to the bottom of the stroke. I would guess there is a tool for airing up the cylinder or you could make one out of an old injector I suppose.
If I just put it at tdc and dont pressurize it would it be dangerous using the piston to rest the valves on?