24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

EDGE-ATTITUDE PLUS RAPTOR = QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 04:07 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EDGE-ATTITUDE PLUS RAPTOR = QUESTIONS

Just got my Edge Juice with Attitude CS 31000 wohoo (ok mild excitement),

I have a Rp-100 Raptor lift pump; and I’m not sure where to hook up the fuel pressure sensor that comes with the Edge Attitude harness; Am I going to have to buy a new banjo or fitting? Hopefully not….(1999 manual trans, 4x4)

Old 11-29-2014, 09:33 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

The tapped banjo fitting and a snubber is the best way to read fuel pressure. Having it right at the VP inlet lets you know the pressure at the pump, compared to in the filter, or at the lift pump. The snubber will increase the longevity of the sensor by cushioning the sensor from pressure spikes.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by RAW
The tapped banjo fitting and a snubber is the best way to read fuel pressure. Having it right at the VP inlet lets you know the pressure at the pump, compared to in the filter, or at the lift pump. The snubber will increase the longevity of the sensor by cushioning the sensor from pressure spikes.
Would you have a link wher ethey sell these banjo fitting and snubber?

Old 11-29-2014, 05:59 PM
RAW
Administrator

You can ask for a quote from our Vendors, they will be more than happy to help out!

Price Quote - Request A Price - Diesel Bombers

Old 11-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My Edge came with the tapped banjo bolt with the kit. Do you not have it in your box?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Diesel Fan

OK, so i just "finished" installing the Edge 31000 Juice with Attitude CS ....

Bunch of things happended; fist to tap my vp44 it had 4 cables instead of 2 to tap, (bought a new one not sure what type )
Then since i have a rpp100 pump on which i couldnt install the fuel pressure sensor, (had to tap the test port on the filter casing-i know not accurate readings)
Worst thing are the holes i need to drill , , for the EGT sensor i need to drill on the manifold and since i have a manual tranny another one there ob the plate.....these two things i havent done since i couldnt find anywhere the 1/8"-27 NPT i did find the drill though...

Question can i start the vehicule without the EGT and tranny sensors?, want to make suire the vpp44 was tapped correctly...

god im tired

Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 AM
RAW
Administrator

Bunch of things happended; fist to tap my vp44 it had 4 cables instead of 2 to tap, (bought a new one not sure what type )
What do you mean by this? There is only one wire to tap.

You can start without Trans Temp and Pyro, it will be fine. You just won't get readings. I had my pyro out for a long time, as one of my Edge's wouldn't allow me to set the defuel for EGT's above 1300*. It ran fine.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by RAW
What do you mean by this? There is only one wire to tap.

You can start without Trans Temp and Pyro, it will be fine. You just won't get readings. I had my pyro out for a long time, as one of my Edge's wouldn't allow me to set the defuel for EGT's above 1300*. It ran fine.
The installartion diagram shows 1 wire to tap; but (i'll take pictures tonight) at the VP44 there are two sets of wires with a protective sleev each one, so when i grabbed the sleeve closest to the engine i felt there were two wires within that sleeve, (the other sleev also has two wires), again im counting 4 wires . and each two go to the same terminals, as if they used two small wires instead of one and connected them together, is hard to explain; so im taking pictures tonight i want to make sure im tapping the correct wire now that i have 4 not two like the diagram states,.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by somarillw
The installartion diagram shows 1 wire to tap; but (i'll take pictures tonight) at the VP44 there are two sets of wires with a protective sleev each one, so when i grabbed the sleeve closest to the engine i felt there were two wires within that sleeve, (the other sleev also has two wires), again im counting 4 wires . and each two go to the same terminals, as if they used two small wires instead of one and connected them together, is hard to explain; so im taking pictures tonight i want to make sure im tapping the correct wire now that i have 4 not two like the diagram states,.
Top set of wires, the wire from that set that is closest to the engine. It's hard to get to IMO. The wires go to different terminals, it's just different spots on the pump. You can tell if you get some of the covering away from that top set (which you'll need to do anyway).

I really didn't like how the instructions were in that regard. They could have done much better there.

The following users liked this post:
somarillw (12-10-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by somarillw
OK, so i just "finished" installing the Edge 31000 Juice with Attitude CS ....

Then since i have a rpp100 pump on which i couldnt install the fuel pressure sensor, (had to tap the test port on the filter casing-i know not accurate readings)
Worst thing are the holes i need to drill , , for the EGT sensor i need to drill on the manifold and since i have a manual tranny another one there ob the plate.....these two things i havent done since i couldnt find anywhere the 1/8"-27 NPT i did find the drill though...

Question can i start the vehicule without the EGT and tranny sensors?, want to make suire the vpp44 was tapped correctly...

god im tired
If this is the factory replacement pump, you don't put the fuel pressure sensor on the pump. You put it in the banjo fitting on the outlet of the fuel filter housing (to the injection pump) OR you put it on the banjo fitting on the injection pump (on that same line from the fuel filter housing). The point isn't to see what the lift pump is putting out, you want to see what the VP44 is getting.

I had to buy a full tap and die set to get the tap I needed. You might need to start looking that direction. If all else fails, harbor freight is where I got mine. I used a vacuum next to the drill bit (as well as often removing the bit to clean the hole) when I drilled the hole in the manifold. Then I coated the tap in grease for the tapping so the shavings were caught in the grease and didn't drop in. I used an 8 point socket (for square head bolts) on the tap so I could get in the tight space easier when tapping.

Only person I know with a manual transmission didn't bother installing the transmission temp sensor. I probably would because I like stuff like that, but I wouldn't be concerned about that one. EGT... yeah, I'd want that.

I just installed my setup a few weeks ago, so it's fresh in my mind.

Last edited by Baradium; 12-08-2014 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: EDGE-ATTITUDE PLUS RAPTOR = QUESTIONS