24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

tuners and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tuners and cruise control

Two separate things, but on the same truck.

First is that the cruise control when used between 45-60 mph slowly creeps up to 60 miles per hour regardless of what I set the cruise at. Have tried backing it back down with the coast button and hitting set again, it just always goes to 60 if im between 45-60. Any ideas as to why it would be doing that? just started happening in the last month or so, no work done on it to cause that. No codes thrown btw.

The second and while I know is a widely discussed and often debated argument, but I cant find a ton of info from the last 3 years on it. Since my truck is basically bone stock, I want to get a tuner for it. I am looking at one of the smarty S-03 right this second. wanted to get opinions as to what would be the best for me though. I don't want stupid amounts of power, and I definitely don't want to mess up my engine. I Really don't ever hot rod around, I just need something that will help when I'm towing a load over 8-9k It seems that any time that I tow a heavy load, it is always getting up on the interstate, and the on ramps SUCK for getting on I-20 where I live (super short and uphill). Need something mainly to help me when I'm heading up those ramps and up to 75 mph. I would prefer a tuner that did NOT do timing, or had the option to not anyways.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:29 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

With a tuner you are also going to have to beef up a few things. Fuel delivery, transmission, and gauges to monitor. I would look into these first before buying a tuner. If you have trouble getting up hills now in stock form you will really be hating life when you blow out you trans on the highway.