24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

If it was your truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default If it was your truck

If it was yours, what would you do to it? Mechanical,is solid. Already done hid headlights and gonna get a black sport grille soon

Name:  fcea970f9bb0a2c24b1fd42825d53b5a.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  871.0 KB
Name:  26e9b9248ca1b38769db6a7e609fc6d2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  843.6 KB
Name:  a5180804ca4a1073a079816dcac9354a.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  651.8 KB
Name:  06959ca2231a342d2e4fff230bb20b20.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  822.6 KB

Old 10-14-2014, 04:18 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Are you thinking cosmetically, mechanically, performance, what kind of suggestions are you looking for?

Old 10-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAW
Are you thinking cosmetically, mechanically, performance, what kind of suggestions are you looking for?
Well I mostly just want cosmetic. Ive got it mechanically stable and have mild performance plans but advice on both is appreciated. So far just got a BHAF and straight pipe exhaust

Here's my wish list so far but I'm still looking for ideas

A Pillar gauges (EGT, boost, fuel pressure)
Fass fuel system
Chip/programmer
Dynamite diesel injectors
Black sport grille
LED fog lights in bumper
Ranch hand rear bumper
CM Hauler headache rack (maybe)
Ultra Goliath wheels (considering 17s)
Black low profile toolbox
B & W turnover ball
Spray in bedliner

Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 PM
RAW
Administrator

It's a good list. I personally don't like the look of RanchHand, but the price is more attractive than other offers. I really like the BulletProof bumpers.

If you can do the labour yourself, a Cam will make an impressive difference. Since putting the Colt stage 3 in my 2001, I'd never have a 5.9 without one. Everything improved. Besides the cost and time it takes, I found zero downsides.

17's are a good wheel size. If you ever want to update to 3rd gen brakes (much bigger) you'll have the room for the new, bigger brakes with a 17" wheel. They won't fit if you have 16".

I like a chest style tool box over low pro cross tool boxes. Never have to worry about sag, it's more out of sight, and typically more volume.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAW
It's a good list. I personally don't like the look of RanchHand, but the price is more attractive than other offers. I really like the BulletProof bumpers.

If you can do the labour yourself, a Cam will make an impressive difference. Since putting the Colt stage 3 in my 2001, I'd never have a 5.9 without one. Everything improved. Besides the cost and time it takes, I found zero downsides.

17's are a good wheel size. If you ever want to update to 3rd gen brakes (much bigger) you'll have the room for the new, bigger brakes with a 17" wheel. They won't fit if you have 16".

I like a chest style tool box over low pro cross tool boxes. Never have to worry about sag, it's more out of sight, and typically more volume.

I'd never heard of bulletproof bumpers. Just looked it up and they look badass but a rear one is 1400!!! I'm looking for a ranch hand wraparound dually rear bumper but if I'm lucky enough to find something like a bulletproof or road armor in a junkyard im def gonna jump on it

I've considered a cam swap. Right now it's my daily driver so it can't be down for long. Power mods come later. Right now I'm looking for a 20 ft car hauler and I typically haul about 5-9k so nothing crazy. My last tow was a gooseneck that was about 6k and it pulled like a freight train at 75 no problem. Though I could use some stuff to get to 75 faster.......

The brakes are all brand new from shoes to calipers so I'm good there. May do a 3rd gen brake swap later down the road. Mostly goin woth 17s cause I think a slightly bigger wheel looks good on these but not huge ones. I've seen ones like mine on as big as 24s and I can't stand them. Not to mention it's starting to get harder finding 16 inch tires. I know of multiple common tire brands that have dropped 16s altogether.

I do to but I can't find a descent black chest style in diamond plate. I had sag issues with a few above the rail toolboxes sag or warp but my bro has had a uws in his truck since 2005. It's been sat on and hit by things in the bed countless times but we have yet to put a dent in it and no sag or warping. If I find a nice chest toolbox in black diamond plate on craigslist I'll ****** it

Last edited by Truck Guy99; 10-15-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 AM
RAW
Administrator

I drilled two deer with my front BulletProof bumper, and there was zero evidence. Well, the fender flare has a crack, but that was it.

I agree with you on the wheel size. I'm a fan of a 50/50 ratio look. 35" tire with a 17" or 18" wheel. Makes 'em look mean and can handle anything. Them 20"+ look like they get scared of curbs to easy

I have one for sale, but west Texas is a lot of shipping from central Alberta Canada. It is like this one;

Model 654-5-01 All-Purpose Chest, Aluminum, Compact, 12.0 cu ft

I really like it, but it doesn't work with the bed cover I bought.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Same here on the ratio. Don't mind the 16 with like a 35 though it isn't my favorite. But can't stand the wheels rolling on a rubber band style. I plan to get the 17s and I'm gonna go with 33 I think. If I can clear 35s with no lift or front end rubbing though I'll go with that. If it was any taller I'd have to carry a step ladder for some of my friends. I'm 6 foot and it's pretty tall even for me. Not to mention if I lift it I can't pull a gooseneck.

Thanks for the toolbox offer but I'll find something a little more local. Shipping would be a beast for something that bulky.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAW

I'm looking at colt cams and am considering the stage 3 but will a stock trans hold up to it? And what did it make yours idle at after install? Any mpg loss?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:19 AM
RAW
Administrator

Trans should be fine. The power gains from a cam alone aren't that significant. When added to a truck with more fuel and air, it really shines.

There was no idle difference. I didn't watch the difference in MPG when I did the swap. I did a handful of things at the time I did the swap, so I can't really say what did what. I can say it sounded better, ran cooler, spooled quicker, and overall made a better engine. IMO, besides the cost and labour, there are no downsides to a Cam.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Okay thanks. Will get a fass first and go from there. Meanwhile I found a sport grille and installed it

Name:  14a688f24b8b04aa31e7c89a66752ba2.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  611.6 KB

Quick Reply: If it was your truck