24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

I have a 2000 dodge with the 24 valve 5.9 diesel. It's doing some crazy stuff! I recently moved to utah from Washington state, and my truck has not been the same. When I take off, I have no power and it seems to take a lot for the Turbo to get going and when it does a lot of black smoke comes out. Also pressure is building up in my fuel tank, and my rpm gauge stops and goes as it pleases. Any ideas??

Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

The only thing i could think of is the altitude and pressure difference since you moved to utah.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that also, but shouldn't the computer adjust itself? I also disconnected the batteries for about an hour, that should have reset everything!!

Old 10-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like more then 1 problem to me. I have heard of an injector copper gasket start to leak and allow pressure from the engine compression to bypass and get back to the tank. I would pull the valve cover and make sure the injector retainers are tight first. then if not that I would pull injectors looking for a bad seal. and replace with new seals. that's just my 2 cents.
good luck.

The following users liked this post:
ken petty (10-13-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

sometimes a copper washer can leak causing combustion pressures to get into the fuel return, it can get bad enough to the point when you will plug a fuiel filter every 100 miles. it will look almost like algae in the fuel system. i recommend installing new o-rings and copper washers to the injectors asap. i can almost promise the issue goes away. its also a good time to install new injectors. they are cheap enough for that truck that it never hurts to try something new.

if you pm me i have a few sets laying around with about 500 miles on them