24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

99 cummins no power under throttle! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cummins no power under throttle! HELP!

Ok any help here is really appreciated... about a month ago I was leaving work and my 99 dodge cummins. When I pulled out onto the road there was a very noticeable loss in power when I put my foot in the throttle, and took a few more seconds than normal to get up to speed. Later in my drive home i noticed that i could essentially put my foot to the floor while cruising at about 35 mph and the truck was a slug, took about 5 seconds to accelerate up to 40 mph from 35 under WOT... All the while building about 2-3 psi of boost max. The truck would struggle to rev up to 1800 rpm while in drive but when in neutral would rev up normally it seemed with no problems. It also idled fine, started fine, did not smoke at all. And holding a steady 12 psi of fuel pressure like usual.

Sooooo the next day I took it to a local mechanic who my family trusts and the truck is throwing no codes. The mechanic tells me "all signs point to the injection pump" so like the idiot I am I take him at his word and I got the "new" reman Vp44 ordered and i had it installed by a diesel pump specialty shop yesterday, and what do ya know! STILL GUTLESS. Did not fix a thing. So basically now I have no clue what it could be, tried resetting the apps last night. Nothing. Map sensor maybe? Bad turbo? I dunno, thanks for taking the time to read this! ANY AND ALL INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY

Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hows your lift pump? 12, I am running 20 with no problems.