24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Eccentric Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:53 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts
Default Eccentric Bolts

Both of the eccentric bolts snapped off when I tried to adjust them and now I'm tryin to get one out. The first one came out pretty easy but this second one is causin me to cuss a little. I've twisted, beat it with the BFH, sprayed it with penetrating oil, jacked the whole front of the truck up by the frame and axle to take any pressure off of it and this SOB hasn't budged even a hair.

What's the secret here.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

school me on eccentric bolts...... please...... I (prolly along with a few others here) have no clue what they are, where they are and what they do.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM
BOMBARDIER

They're the bolts on the axle end of the lower control arms. They have an of center washer welded to the bolt head and move the axle forward and backward to adjust the alignment. This is the quick version explanation of course.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

ah i c...... have you tried heat to remove them?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
BOMBARDIER

The torches I use ain't exactly portable to get em home unless it's a crisis and there's also rubber seals inside there that I'm sure would end up trashed along with the rest of it.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Well,

Where is it, how big is it and what are we talking about as far as parts go? It may be that there is a tensile force on the bolt (pulling force) and it is therefore not going to move no matter what.

Assuming that is not the case, you can get one of those fancy extractors that should get it out - they always have for me anyway. Craftsman and Irwin (vise grip) make them I know and they work good.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp
Well,

Where is it, how big is it and what are we talking about as far as parts go? It may be that there is a tensile force on the bolt (pulling force) and it is therefore not going to move no matter what.

Assuming that is not the case, you can get one of those fancy extractors that should get it out - they always have for me anyway. Craftsman and Irwin (vise grip) make them I know and they work good.
It's still got the bolt head on it to turn it with, just snapped the nut off. But because of the design and function when you turn the bolt it moves the whole axle with it, that's why I've tried jackin up the axle and the frame independantly trying to take the pressure off of it. Not like a normal bolt you can just turn till it comes lose. You only ge about half a rotation out of it and then when you releas the tension to reset the ratchet it just spins back in place. I can turn it back and forth all day long but it's not backin out at all.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

Ok, it is on the control arm near the door frame? If so, and there is no weight on it why not just set up a drift pin and give it a good pounding? The pin (shaft of the bolt) would have to come out somehow and unless you can take pictures of it for me I'm sort of guessing at this point. Sorry.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
BOMBARDIER

Your on the right bolt alrighty. There is still an end stickin out of the hole and I've beat that commy SOB so much it's mushroomed right now and it ain't budged at all.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Its been awhile since I did mine so I cant remember but is there a retention bolt on there???????????

I sure dont remember any issues though

I would say that to take all stress from the arms by putting the truck on jack stands from the frame so the arms dangle

Quick Reply: Eccentric Bolts