24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Rolling to much smoke

Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rolling to much smoke

Hi all, My name is Mike. I drive a 2001 24v Cummins. I am a newbe to the sight.
I am having an issue with to much smoke, the motor had a fresh rebuild a copple years back, at that time I went 50 over on the injectors, ( save on fuel and little more power) and it is doing great.
when I am towing the fifthwheel the smoke is making a mess of it, and it gets inside it.
I don't want to give up my power and fuel saveings but we need to stop the smoke somehow. buying a new 2015 rv and cant have the smoke any Ideas would help...

thanks Mike

Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any sort of tuner on the truck? If so what level? And most people I know who want to keep the power and tow usually get a turn-down exhaust tip to keep it off the trailer. Just a thought!

The following users liked this post:
mpcampers (07-20-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Diesel Fan

I don't have a tuner, been thinking about one but don't know much about them or weather it would do much for the smoke? turning the tip down is something I had planed to do. If I go with a tuner witch one should I go with..?? and would I be able to change the air flow. I am thinking it is a lack of air, or how would it work.

thanks Mike

Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does your air filter look? And has anything boost wise been tampered with, like does the truck feel like normal power? If you plan on getting a tuner, its really what you want it to do. But there are plenty of options for our trucks. I have an edge comp box and love it, but with that you need a bigger fuel pump to keep good fuel pressure to the motor.

mpcampers (07-20-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Diesel Fan

I am very **** about keeping filters clean, I don't think anything has been tampered with everything is stock but the injectors, I am going to start looking at tuners, I don't think I need to use more fuel. LOL where would be a good place to look for tuners..??

Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

any box that will do timing will get you more efficiency. Whose injectors are you running? That can also make a big difference.

A tunnel ram intake plenum will also reduce some smoke.

mpcampers (07-20-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Diesel Fan

Found a leak at the back of the Turbocharger where it connects to the exhaust. don't know if that would make smoke or not, trying to find anyone that has seen this before.

I really don't remember what Injectors I used. I talked to the mechanic that did the rebuild he is thinking they where RV,s and they could be the problem. but he don't know about the leak at the back of the turbo, I took it apart cleaned it put it back on to see if there was something not letting it seal.???

Old 06-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think the leak on the back of the turbo is your issue.
The RV injectors are the Bosch RV275's they are good for 40-60 hp more.
I would look for Boot leaks from the inter-cooler.
also a nice chip is the Edge EZ, this only adds fuel injection timing, not more fuel, that may help with some smoke. The edge EZ also comes with a boost elbow that mounts to the bottom side of your turbo compressor to the waste-gate. This will allow you to build more boost and help with the smoke.

You can also try getting the RPM's up higher.. you may be lugging your truck down too low in the RPM's that will cause excess smoke. Of course you can always just ease into the throttle too.

Do you have any aftermarket gauges installed on the truck? adding any more power other than an air filter, you really want to keep an eye on what is happening with your engine. You also may want to upgrade your stock fuel lift pump. the stock lift pumps are weak and can handle about stock power levels.. adding any more fuel (like bigger injectors) will tax the stock lift pump, starve your VP44 inj. pump and then you are dead in the water.. bad deal and an expensive fix.

We are here for ya bro!!

Last edited by Rooster24v; 06-21-2014 at 08:44 AM.
mpcampers (07-20-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Diesel Fan

when I am towing or under load it is smoking all the time. I don't know what the inter-cooler is. it set behind the radiador ..?? and with this going on the starter give up on me. oo and I checked for codes none.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Diesel Fan

read up on the intercooler, I think I may have to check futher in to this. thinking about taking it off the truck and checking it. or find a way to push smoke in it to see leaks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rolling to much smoke