24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Tranny Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Upgrade

I'm buying one in the next couple of weeks and have researched it to death. So----many opinions on tranny's that I'm torn up. I have been leaning towards an ATS IV package (tranny, billet shaft, 5 star TC, and commander) but am open to suggestions. There is an authorized ATS installer in Ogden utah that would take care of all the shipping and core and R&R for 475.00, sounded reasonable to me. I can do the work, but to save the headache of shipping, I've been thinking of letting him do it. That way I also have someone to go to in the event something doesnt work right. Goerend and suncoast seem to be about the same cost, but there are no shops here that deal directly with them that I can find.

My tranny started shuttering bad going into drive and overdrive while I was pulling my 5th wheel back from the race in Phoenix. It never got hot, but the egt and motor did on some of the long grades. I swear I could pull my camper straight up a wall but put it on a long grade and it suffers. I plan on this truck being my last and dont want to ever worry about the tranny again. I like to fix things ONCE! What do you guys think?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Come on fellers! I've searched the subject and know you have opinions. I've seen where you say that you like Goerends or one of the others, but never see why. Why do you prefer one over the other?

Last edited by Hilblee; 04-30-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

well I have heard ats has been having issues with some bad shafts etc. I don't know for sure but just what I have seen written.

"ATS has a reputation around here for less than stellar customer service and notoriously high prices. After tendering towards performance drag and sponsored circuit(dhra) diesels, their prices are higher than similar transmission companies.
For your money, ATS doesnt hold its weight again Goerend Trans Inc."

so I say pricecheck what you want. I am adding a hts valve body to mine next week finally. mine was pieced together from buddies with left overs and a guy that worked at a trans shop that got me my converter for a good deal. If I was to do it over I would just get one built from Goerend Trans Inc they seem to be very heavily praised no bad press yet

The following users liked this post:
Hilblee (05-03-2008)
Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 AM

ATS WILL burn you! Their customer service sucks,their knowledge to help you with a problem afterwards sucks.

Suncoast would be a better deal.
I am speaking from experience with them both.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered my Goerend Transmission for my truck. Check out there site they have a dealer locater. My transmission will be going in this weekend.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Diesel Fan

Update-----Went with a Goerend Tranny and TQ, got friday, installed it saturday and Holy Crap----What a difference. My truck is now AWAKE! The first thing I noticed is the instant throttle responce. My truck used to feel like the rubber band had to wind up before take off. Now, it takes off like a big V8. Instant!

The shifts are quicker and solid. I swear, it feels like I have about a 3rd more power than before. Well worth the money!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:28 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Nice...

What did you all get?

Old 06-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

I think you will find that if you ever do have a problem with that tranny his service is second to none. Good choice Glad to hear you like it

Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went out on a limb and got one built from Coaltrain. It was WAAAY cheaper and it is definatly better than stock. It wouldnt hurt to give a call and see what happens, I saved about 2k going through them.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Goerend or Suncoast Transmissions

Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilblee
Update-----Went with a Goerend Tranny and TQ, got friday, installed it saturday and Holy Crap----What a difference. My truck is now AWAKE! The first thing I noticed is the instant throttle responce. My truck used to feel like the rubber band had to wind up before take off. Now, it takes off like a big V8. Instant!

The shifts are quicker and solid. I swear, it feels like I have about a 3rd more power than before. Well worth the money!
Good choice. I love mine too. I have about 1500 miles on mine now and it shifts sooo smooth and firm.

Quick Reply: Tranny Upgrade