24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel Additive

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Additive

what is the best fuel additive.....?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TCW III rated two stroke oil. super tec from wallyworld seems to be really good. I use that.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Diesel Fan

I use "Drews Brew" 16 ounces of Power Service mixed with 8 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil. The Power Service gives you the cetane boost, sulfer and anti-gel for winter, the MMO gives you lubrication for the pumps and whatnot. All available at wal-mart or if on the road, you can get it at any truck stop.

Stole from other site-----

Power Service's website
Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

Marvel Mystery Oil
http://www.marvelmakeover.com/products.html

FAQ's

What is the difference between the grey bottle & white bottle?
From their website...
Grey bottle: (year round)

"Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost
Diesel Kleen® +Cetane Boost® is the premier “performance” product on the market. Diesel Kleen is loaded with cetane, detergency and lubricity additives to keep your diesel engine running at peak performance.

If you are looking for an antigel, Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost is the product you should be using. Like Diesel Kleen, Diesel Fuel Supplement contains a cetane and detergency package. However, it is not as concentrated as Diesel Kleen to allow for the superior antigel in Diesel Fuel Supplement

* Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant — contains less than 15 parts per million (ppm) sulfur
* Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel
* Contains Slickdiesel® for maximum fuel lubrication — protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
* Boosts cetane up to 4 numbers — engines run smoother with less power lag, reduced emissions and faster cold starts
* Reduces visible exhaust emissions (HC, PM) up to 50 percent and reduces NOx and CO emissions up to 28 percent
* Cleans dirty fuel injectors — exceeds Cummins L10 Injector Depositing Test Superior specifications
* Decreases fuel consumption up to 8 percent — fuel savings exceed cost of additive
* Reduces piston and combustion chamber deposits — reduces soot blow-by and engine oil thickening
* Increases power — reduces need for downshifting during high-load conditions
* Exceeds industry standards for thermal stability — improves diesel fuel’s resistance to thermal and oxidative degradation
* Stabilizes stored fuel"

White bottle: (cold weather and year round)
"Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost

This is the product of choice for optimal winter operation. Diesel Fuel Supplement® contains the most effective antigel additive package available in the diesel industry - no blending with No.1 diesel or kerosene is needed to achieve maximum winter protection. The cetane improver in Diesel Fuel Supplement provides up to 2 numbers of cetane boost for easier cold starts and a smoother running engine, while detergents clean fuel injectors to provide more power and less fuel consumption.

While it is preferable to use Diesel Kleen in the non-winter months for maximum injector clean-up and a cetane boost of 4 numbers, Diesel Fuel Supplement can be used on a year-around basis. Although Diesel Fuel Supplement is an antigel, it will not harm your engine to use year-around.
Winter Performance Benefits:

* Prevents fuel gelling in temperatures as low as -40°F.
* Equals the performance of a 50/50 blend of No. 2 and No. 1 diesel fuels
* Lowers Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) as much as 36°F. — keeps fuel-filters from plugging with wax
* Boosts cetane up to 2 numbers for faster cold starts
* Contains anti-icing additives — protects against fuel-filter icing

Year-Around Performance Benefits:

* Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) Compliant — contains less than 15 parts per million (ppm) sulfur
* Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel blends containing up to 20% biodiesel (B20)
* Contains Slickdiesel® for maximum fuel lubrication — protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
* Boosts cetane up to 2 numbers engines run smoother with less power lag and reduced emissions
* Keeps fuel injectors clean — exceeds Cummins L10 Injector Depositing Test Superior specifications
* Reduces emissions and black exhaust smoke
* Increases power — reduces need for downshifting during high-load conditions
* Decreases fuel consumption — fuel savings exceed cost of additive
* Stabilizes fuel in equipment tanks — improves diesel fuel's resistance to thermal and oxidative degradation
* Stabilizes stored fuel
"

go to the webpage for more details.

How can I mix it?
you can get a 32 oz bottle of PSD, pour 16 oz into a full tank, then add 8 oz of MMO to the tank and your good to go, now you can add 8 oz to the remaining 16 oz of PSD in the PSD bottle and toss it in your truck so it's ready to go on your next fill up. My suggestion is to buy 1 more bottle of PSD (32 oz) and have 2 of them available to use and re-fill from the bigger bottles.

Can I pre-mix the PSD & the MMO?
yes, I pre-mix the 2 and leave it in a used PSD bottle ready to go on my next fillup.

What are the benifits?
smoother running motor, 1~3 mpg better than without (pays for itself easily if your getting ~.75 mpg better), adds lubrication to your fuel system and helps keep your fuel injectors from developing carbon buildup.

Last edited by Hilblee; 04-30-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Biodiesel at 2%(B2) or greater is reported to be pretty slick stuff for addressing lubricity.

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place

Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I run B5, or add Stanadyne lubricity formula in the summer and performance formula in the winter

Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

You mght want to step over to my web page and read up on both PS and MMO... Both failed the HFRR testing and might increase wear to your fuel system...

2 Cycle oil main page...
2 Cycle Oil

HFRR testing...
HFRR Values

Noise level testing...
Noise Level

more info...
Failure Facts

Take notice below gov't standard is <520 HFRR and engine manufactures request <460 HFRR... So 2 cycle oil at 128:1 ratio meets and exceeds both standards... (The test below was done at 200:1 ratio)... But both PS and MMO failed both standards!

And about MMO... You might want to read a thread quick...
Mopar1973Man's Cummins Site &bull; View topic - Interesting Find!

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 05-04-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Someone smarter than me ought to read and decipher what this article really says... but if I understand it, it says that biodiesel may dilute the motor oil in certain fuel delivery type engines.

BiodieselMagazine

Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Dodge dealer suggest no stronger than B2 (for warranty issues)
Cummins itsself will allow up to B20 only if you have a upgraded filter (2 micron and Water Sep)...

I know that homebrew B100 can do damage to the new 6.7L Cummins and 3rd Gen CR Cummins... I've been contacted by several members (of other sites) and discussed fuels and additives... And how they had the warranty VOIDED!

Volkswagen is using post-injection for regeneration and according to Stuart Johnson with the Engineering and Environmental Office of Volkswagen Group of America, the issue of oil dilution from biodiesel is a real concern for the automakers. “We can tolerate up to 50 percent fuel mix in the oil but no more,” he said at the 2008 National Biodiesel Conference.

Volkswagen tests using B5 and post-injection showed 45 percent oil dilution after 10,000 miles, but surprisingly no engine damage was evident upon inspection. “Using B10 at 10,000 miles surpasses that 50 percent threshold—and that is unacceptable,” Johnson said. “We want longer oil change intervals as a car company, so it’s hard for us to talk about this.” The implications are that increased fuel dilution due to biodiesel blends could lead to premature engine wear if oil changes are not done more often.
Basically the 2007+ model with Regen DPF have this new problem fuel diluting the engine oil.. I'm glad I got old school...

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 05-04-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
Dodge dealer suggest no stronger than B2 (for warranty issues)
Cummins itsself will allow up to B20 only if you have a upgraded filter (2 micron and Water Sep)...

I know that homebrew B100 can do damage to the new 6.7L Cummins and 3rd Gen CR Cummins... I've been contacted by several members (of other sites) and discussed fuels and additives... And how they had the warranty VOIDED!

Basically the 2007+ model with Regen DPF have this new problem fuel diluting the engine oil.. I'm glad I got old school...
Here is the official statement from Dodge regarding biodiesel. This off the Dodge owners website... Dodge Bio Diesel Fuel Statement

Dodge's current position states that B5 is authorized for all Cummins Turbo Diesel and B20 is authorized for government, military and fleet vehicles.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:46 PM
Default High Sulfur Additives

I just got a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 and have done the EGR delete kit, have not switched the exhaust yet but will never week. Im running a Mini Max programer. Is there an additive I can use to get higher sulfur to my fuel?

Quick Reply: Fuel Additive