24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

White smoke,High idle,chokes and idles rough????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke,High idle,chokes and idles rough????

Title says what its doing. I put a Lift pump in it cause it was weak. Still runs the same. I have heard a bad lift pump can cause the injector pump to go bad true? It all started with a couple hitches and then acted like it was in cruise control. idles about 1500rpm. The truck does not have cruise. It almost snaps out of it when you stand on it but then dies out and doesnt even run up the RPM range. shakes the truck at idle. The truck is stock with an auto.

Any insight? were to start?
How can I check the lift pump? How can I check the injectors? A link to the thread about calibrating the throttle? I am totally new to diesels but not new to mechanics in general. Thanks ahead for any help.

AL

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh its a 98.5 24 valve it does have a little quadzilla chip. And it is does not throw any codes.

Last edited by Greenbeast; 02-15-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

did you use a scanner for codes?

check for codes

disconnect the batteries.
reset the TPS

check injectors and injection pump from there.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes. On our year trucks with a vp44 injection pump they are very sensitive to fuel pressure. So if you keep a good supply of fuel to it. It will burn out. Do u have a upgraded lift pump on the truck? I'm not sure why it would idle up though.