24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Running hot and no heat in cab?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Running hot and no heat in cab?

So I just replaced the head gasket, installed studs and fixed a few oil leaks along the way.

After I started the truck it idled with prestone radiator flush in it for about ten minutes at 190 degrees. Started driving it home from my parents shop and the temperature was about 210-215 but never went past that. Also the heat wasn't working it was just pushing cold air.

Also I haven't been able to change settings on my dash for vents for awhile, any help on these would be greatly appreciated! I am going to try to replace the thermostat tomorrow after work, also it is about 25-32 degrees here right now.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

might wanna check your blend door motor at the bottom of the hvac box (turn temp **** and watch the motor to see if it is rotating the shaft or not. check heater hoses for temp too.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well truck drove fine until this morning, blown head gasket and grey sludge out the d/s of the motor somewhere. I'm assuming I damaged the head gasket when the head was put back on. If anyone in the Washington area has a cheap reliable car for sale let me know, thanks!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

didn't even realize you were from my neck of the woods!

can always do like I did...

I bought a 87 S10 as a backup rig.

just a lil 2.5L manual trans short bed single cab 2wd. power steering and power brakes is all it has .

straight body and runs like a champ. paid $1000 cash for it. only thing that didn't work was the speedo. so I use a gps speedometer app on my phone and use a phone mount right in front of the original speedometer .

Name:  20130826_183441_zps465a0b00.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  223.1 KB

and no, it's not for sale. Just to give you an idea of a reliable vehicle..

the old S10's are very reliable very simple and easy to work on, and parts are very easy to find in stock at local auto parts stores because they are such a common service or parts runner truck for shops and a lot of their parts are interchangeable with newer S10's.