24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

lack of power, running out of ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lack of power, running out of ideas.

I recently purchased a 2000 dodge cummins. Auto tranny, truck idles and started fine, but no power. Topped out at 40mph. It tgrew 234, 236 codes. I have added a fuel pressure light, replaced the turbo as the old waste gate was seized, i cleaned the map sensor, and installed a fass fuel pump. Truck runs with a little more power, but still takes a good mile to reach 55mph. Fuel pressure light is now on once i get into it. No smoke, no codes, have great fuel pressure to fuel filter. I am not sure what do next. I thought I'd the fuel pump is damaged the truck won't run. Anyone there able to give me some advice?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

What type of boost numbers is it producing?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 AM

To be honest i do not know, i dont have a boost tester. Any home made setups or suggestions? I do have the torque app scan tool on my phone maybe that will show ill go check

Originally Posted by mysterync
What type of boost numbers is it producing?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Icanrydit
To be honest i do not know, i dont have a boost tester. Any home made setups or suggestions? I do have the torque app scan tool on my phone maybe that will show ill go check
The torque app will do it I think. Just select live data, then look for the map sensor pid. Write down the base number (barometric pressure), drive the truck and watch for the highest number then subtract the base number. Depending on the measurements torque uses for map you'll likely have to convert it to psi.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Mysterync, i appreciate your help. Here is my update: i download the full torque app, checked boots and cleaned the map sensor and went for a drive. For the first time i felt Loads of power, it was a rocket all of a sudden. Then 1/2 mile later as i pulled back into three farm it went back to gutless. So i am pleased that it us possible to have power, i have hope. However I registered no boost whatsoever. And i got the 236 code again, so i am guessing i need replace the map sensor. Do you think i am not reading any boost due to a bad map? Or could i have another issue? And i am guessing i didn't have codes after installing the new turbo because i didn't drive it far enough? I feel i am close

QUOTE=mysterync;1048246]The torque app will do it I think. Just select live data, then look for the map sensor pid. Write down the base number (barometric pressure), drive the truck and watch for the highest number then subtract the base number. Depending on the measurements torque uses for map you'll likely have to convert it to psi.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Sounds a lot like a map sensor failure but let's start by back probing the sensor with the wire plugged in and our meter ground lead on the negative battery post. Check each pin with the key on, when you find one that reads 0v switch your negative lead to b+ and verify that reads 12v. We'll go from there on the diagnosis.