24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Now I Got Some Codes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I Got Some Codes?

Ok i did the key switch trick and got me some codes.

So what do these mean? I read what they "mean" but in other words what are they? And how to fix em?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by shilo
Ok i did the key switch trick and got me some codes.

So what do these mean? I read what they "mean" but in other words what are they? And how to fix em?
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
p1682 Charging System Voltage Too Low
p1693 is a companion code

looks like you have an alternator charging problem or a battery that is going bad.... this can make alot of things seem bad to the comp. what is yer voltage at the batteries when the vehicle is not running and what is it when the engine is running/alternator charging?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Ok, so what is the truck doing?

P0500 - usually nothing to worry about - generally means the rear wheels have been spinning. Been doing any burnouts?

P1682 - Charging System Voltage Low

P1693 - A Companion Code - likely related to the P1682

Is your alternator charging?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Diesel Fan

No burnouts. But on a trip to higher elevation the truck choked and blew blue smoke. I posted a thread about it on here too.

I replaced the alternator in november. And if i remember just from glancing at the dash regularly it runs around 14 voltsish. The truck sat for about an hour prior to taking these codes. Ill check battery voltage in the morning. And their 1.5 year old optima red tops.

However, recently i plugged in my tow lights for my jeep and after maybe a mile i smelled something smoking and my check gauges light turned on and the voltage dropped to zero. I unplugged the lights and the voltage stayed at zero. I drove to moab, shut the truck down for an hour and when restarting it worked fine. So i havent done anything else to it. Voltage seems good now.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Sounds like a voltage regulator problem, that's an internal component in our trucks. I would also have those Optimas tested at a shop. Be sure they dissconnect them and test them individually. They have a habit of dropping cells.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Where is the voltage regulator? And how much is one gonna set me back?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 PM
BOMBARDIER

On our truck the regulator is internal inside the alternator. The alternator is rebuildable though you don't have to buy a new one unless it's really jacked up. The auto shop that checks your batteries should also be able to test this regulator for you and tell you if it's bad.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Diesel Fan

The alternator is from autozone and has 1 year warranty so im going to have em check it out.

Ok, here might be the cause: I drove to Industrial Injections shop and changed out my Silver Bullet for the Silver 62. I did the swap in their parking lot (awsome guys). While tightning a bolt, dont remember which, i touched the hot post on the back of the alternator with the wrench and it stuck to it for a moment before i could jerk it free. A few minutes after starting the truck the Check Gauges light came on and had zero volts. I went to autozone, tested the alternator and it failed. Still on warranty I changed out the alternator in their parking lot. After starting it i had the same problem. After a check of fuses i found that the 140 amp alternator fuse was blown. (shoulda checked fuses first). So in goes a new fuse and everythings great till now. So i think i shorted something else too.
(by the way the fuses look good now)

Old 04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
BOMBARDIER

Batteries or battery may have fried also then. I'm bein optomistic here cause I don't want to get into what could have happend until you check these things out.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
Batteries or battery may have fried also then. I'm bein optomistic here cause I don't want to get into what could have happend until you check these things out.
Haha...oh im afraid of what could have went wrong. Ill have the batteries tested tomorrow. Thanks...im off to bed and ill let all know of the battery situmacation.

Quick Reply: Now I Got Some Codes?