24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Schied diesel vp44 and injector questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schied diesel vp44 and injector questions

I posted on here about dead pedal after 2 different vp pumps didn't really get many responses so maybe have better luck

Questions
1.Has anyone installed a scheid lightning vp44?
Mine idles like crazy sounds like a miss or skipping but smoothes out under a load

2.My egts are hitting 1k just normal driving and Max like 20lbs of boost? Does this sound right??

3. What size injectors do I need I'm thinking 7x.013
I'm not trying to build a race truck but I would like a little more go when I hit the skinny pedal and still be able to tow of needed

Here's the truck
2002 5.9 auto
Built tranny
Hx35/40 hybrid
S&b intake
Schied diesel lightning vp44
edge juice w attitude
4" downpipe to 5" stacks
100 over injectors
Airdog 150 20psi idle 15psi wot

Just seems like all ive done to the truck just doesn't have the power It should any other suggestions?
Info appreciated

Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

no experience with that vp44, but a vp44 shouldn't be stuttering or loping at idle.

monster pumps are known to do that, but it is caused by running oversized cross tubes and injector lines causing low pressure in the lines making it more difficult for the injection pump to pop off the injectors.

the size of injectors you just mentioned might be a little too big for towing or full wiretap fueling power with a vp44...

great injectors for a P7100 though, but your turbo is definitely out of it's league with those injectors...

you would probably be better off with a set of 7x.012s and a 64/71/14 turbo. (super b special)

you will also want head studs, push rods and valve springs with that setup, and trans will need to be fully built fully billet for that setup or you will break it.

side note: 20lbs boost sounds like your gate is opening early, and 1000* egt sounds normal for the size of injector and how small your turbo is...

then again I can see 1000* under normal driving on a hill but only momentarily as twins are a whole different animal... egts look like they are going to keep climbing once they get around 1000* but then they plateau or start dropping again as boost keeps climbing

Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Diesel Fan

I've got the gate completely blocked off
And watch the boost gauge constantly
I have a ht3b sitting in my toolbox ready to start building twins
But want to get fueling right instead of throwing twins in there then having to worry about it

I know my trans was rebuilt with billet shafts and torque converter it's solid and good to go
As far as head studs go I can't see paying 450$ for studs I have a dealer account with fastenal. Gonna see if I can get out cheaper but it is my next plan

I put the new Turbo on there to lower egts

Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

don't cheap out and use bolts with twins. bolts don't hold near as well as studs.

if you can get studs via fastenal, go for it, but do not use bolts with twins. you will just blow a head gasket.

I run ARP studs and only paid $380 for them brand new gotta wait for them to go on sale!

for push rods and valve springs, see my thread on the budget springs and push rods... you will be surprised at how much money you can save going with those

3b oughta be decent for a setup, however limits upgrades...

7x.012 SAC injectors from DFI would work great with that twin combo

Old 11-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Does the owners manual on the scheid say if that pump advances timing vs a stock pump? Have you tried setting your edge to the stock setting to see what happens?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Diesel Fan

I haven't read the manual I know I know shoot me now
But to answer your question Yes it does the same thing i reset the edge to 0 stock then I unhooked negative cables on both batteries since I had to move throttle cable and apps out of the way anyway to change vp44 plus when I hooked it back up I had to re-learn it as well
It does it in stock or 5x5 anywhere in between
I Google's some monster pumps and dragon fire etc several of them say it's normal
Sounds kinda wicked but smoothes out in gear or under a load so for now guess it'll just sound like it sounds thanks for the replies