24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil

01 with 291k when i first start her im getting light white blue smoke, once i dip down to drive it poors smoke! After a while of driving its gone clears up. I have 1800 miles on my oil change and im half a quort low. The owner before me had new rings rods bearings and head gasket done. The valve seals came late in the mail so they were not replaced. I felt the oil cap opening for blow by and there isnt any. Called cummins shop the guy basicaly said your a dumbass theres no way it could be the valve seals check turbo! My turbos not stock its a holset one and is bigger than stock looks new. I checked the front opening and no oil or wear. The play is very little. I havnt seen the back of it yet. Is there any other places it would burn oil? Any experiance on this? Thanks

Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

valve seals are a common place, and oil leaking into the turbo is another one

could also just be leaking it...

Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Diesel Fan

I think its the valve seals because the truck came with 24 new ones that came late in the mail during the rebuild. But the white blue smoke quits after a while of running. So wouldnt the turbo smoke all the time?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I just took the back off of my turbo and it had no oil anywhere?. Still warm too. The fronts a little dirty no oil tho. The play on the fin is nothing. Im pretty sure my turbo is not leaking. Also the intercooler boots under the turbo had no oil. Valve seals? Anybody know how much a job like that costs? Thanks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Iv been reading alot and if the guy before me did put new rings rods and bearings in maybe they are not broken in yet? And thats why its burning oil. Also in some cases switching oil stops it? I run rotella t 15w-40 with mopar filter. But iv only done 1 oil change since iv owned it.

Last edited by Grat123; 10-22-2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I would be more concerned about why it had rings, rods, and bearings replaced!

with only 291k on it...that is not a normal service... these things can go over 1 million miles without being rebuilt, so to be completely rebuilt means either the previous owner had nothing better to do, or ran the thing dry on oil and damaged the motor causing it to need a rebuild...

the bottom ends just down wear out unless abuse and/or neglect was involved.

valve seals can be done in a weekend or a day if you are mechanically inclined, otherwise a mechanic will probably charge you a pretty penny to do the job...

if you have any big performance ideas for the future, while replacing valve seals, it would be a good idea to do HD push rods and performance valve springs while you are in there...

once you get the valve springs off, the seals are right there...

Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the reply. Yea talked to a cummins tech he said sounds like someone dusted it or a piston went bad. "Cold smoke" due to low compression . Original owner said he just did it to be safe with the miles.prob a lie. But im gonna switch my oil to delo and haul a heavy load on it maybe itll break in the rings. If not well than itll just burn oil till it kicks the bucket im tired of trying to fix this truck only spent 3900 on it. Thanks for qll of the help i appriciate it.