24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

What to do about my filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about my filter?

hey I have a 1999 24 valve and the previous owner put an airdog on about 4 years ago. It recently crapped the bed and I ordered a 150GPH Raptor and Im wondering. The factory fuel filter has been deleted, and is now located on the Dead Airdog. So what should I do? im 16 and practically broke so im trying to find a safe way to fix this problem. Can the Raptor push/pull through the airdog? the airdog runs just doesn't put out adequate pressure. Give me some help! thankyou

Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM

what is an airdog?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by anderson92
hey I have a 1999 24 valve and the previous owner put an airdog on about 4 years ago. It recently crapped the bed and I ordered a 150GPH Raptor and Im wondering. The factory fuel filter has been deleted, and is now located on the Dead Airdog. So what should I do? im 16 and practically broke so im trying to find a safe way to fix this problem. Can the Raptor push/pull through the airdog? the airdog runs just doesn't put out adequate pressure. Give me some help! thankyou
return the raptor if you haven't used it yet...

if the airdog runs, replace the filters on it, and stretch the spring a bit behind the return line fitting and see if that fixes the low pressure issue with the airdog.

if not, call pureflow and they will sell you a new pump motor for the airdog for much cheaper than buying a new raptor pump...

if you already own one of their pumps but don't have the warranty they will sell you just the motor for the airdog for something like ~$230 and send you a new warranty card.

The following 2 users liked this post by jigabop:
kerley (09-18-2013), RAW (09-13-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Diesel Fan

I already ordered the Raptor, and my Airdog wont even prime my new filters, tried opening injectors still barely got fuel. I think i wanna stick with the Raptor. Just ordered a fuel filter head and mounting bracket so i can put an inline filter in after the raptor. Thanks for the reply! if u still have an opinion on it let me hear it

Old 09-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Diesel Wrench

yeah you already ordered it, but doesn't mean you can't return it and replace the motor in the airdog and get a lifetime warranty on it for CHEAPER than a raptor....unless you like wasting money...

that airdog system has far superior filtering abilities to the stock filter and it is easier to change filters and drain water from...

it's your truck though...do it the harder more expensive way if you wish...

Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jigabop
if you already own one of their pumps but don't have the warranty they will sell you just the motor for the airdog for something like ~$230 and send you a new warranty card.
this is nice to know i wasnt aware of this jigabop thanks for the info mine works fine but just incase

Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Diesel Wrench

yep, not many people are aware of that...

you have to actually contact pureflow to find that out.

back when I thought my airdog was dying (and it didn't come with a card to send in) I thought i was gonna be SOL and have to buy a whole new system...They said they would sell me a new pump motor for it for $237 or something like that... also said it would come with a new lifetime warranty card. they also extend this offer to someone who obtains an airdog pump second hand (like it came with the truck) or if it comes with their truck, etc...

turned out my pump wasn't bad at all...just the stupid isolator for my fuel pressure gauge went bad, so I ditched the isolator and ran airbrake line directly from my needle valve to the gauge. problem solved pump is still pumping like a champ 4+ years later. even took it apart...even though the outside looks cruddy and beat up and slightly rusty, the pump internals still look brand new! zero signs of wear.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thought it was common knowledge that airdog is lifetime warranty. The only down side is sometimes their customer service is slow... but, they got me back on the road when my pump quit on me

Old 09-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by crazycooter
thought it was common knowledge that airdog is lifetime warranty. The only down side is sometimes their customer service is slow... but, they got me back on the road when my pump quit on me
only if you are the original purchaser and you sent in the warranty card within 30 days of purchase and they actually got that card via mail and put you on file without screwing up...

if you aquire the pump used, or they didn't send you a card, or you bought a truck and the pump came with it....no warranty for you...however you do get reduced price + new warranty on replacement pump motors (really the only part that goes bad on them)

Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Diesel Fan

WhEre do I type my qUestIon at

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

99 cummins 3500. At idle the engine revs up and dOwn. It also blows white smoke. Out has a slightly dead pedal and had very very little power. I put a new fuel filter on today. ... still the same. Any ideas people? Thanks

Last edited by hjump; 09-15-2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: What to do about my filter?