24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

HP & TQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP & TQ

I just bought my first cummins, it's a 01 3500, it has a FASS, Quadzilla Adrenaline, Cold Air Intake & 5in Turbo back exhaust and a 6 speed, as far as I know everything else is stock, I don't really have access to a dyno so I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much hp & tq I should be putting out

Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

289hp/661tq @ rears is what a local guy I know put down with an edge comp on a 6spd HO SRW

adrenaline will fuel harder than a comp though so 300/700 range @ rear wheels would be my guess...

HO VP44 injection pump is very limited with fueling. sure the HO motor comes stock with a bit more hp and torque, but that is not because of it's injection pump. HO motor is higher compression, and runs higher injection pressure from the injection pump with slightly smaller injectors...

but to make higher injection pressure they just did a combo of smaller injector nozzles with smaller fuel plungers in the injection pump. so you have both working against you.

the fuel plungers in a HO injection pump are 7mm in size.
the fuel plungers in a SO injection pump are 7.5mm in size...

doesn't sound like much but that little difference can make over a 100hp difference in power output when wiretap fueling, injectors, and turbos get thrown into the mix.

just to show you the difference without all the extras...

on my truck (6 speed with standard output engine/vp44) I did 362hp/882tq with the adrenaline because I have the same motor an automatic or 5spd manual would have...the 99.5-00.5 6-spd trucks were not HO trucks and their NV5600s were different in the fact that they had the same size input shaft as the NV4500s. (I have changed my 6-spd since then as I ripped teeth off of gears and busted the intermediate shaft internally, so I have the later version of the NV5600 now)