24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Just another newbie with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just another newbie with some questions

Ok, this is the first forum i have ever joined/ posted in.... So im clueless
I picked up my first diesel 2 weeks ago. Im an auto tech/aftermarket installer by trade... But all i have really done with diesels is the usual..... exhaust kits, tuners/modules (edge, bully, diablo, h&p), and numerous brands of cold air kits.
Im willing to tackle anything, once i have done some initial research.
I have a 99 Dodge Cummins 5.9 24v auto ext cab sb 189,500 miles never chipped/tuned only mods at this moment are 4" turbo back to Dual 5" stacks, Fass Hpfp lift pump, fuel press gauge with seperate low pressure warning light

So here are a couple of my questions, before i start searching this site for the info:

Ive heard all this stuff about a certain block that is no good, but i also heard if they have over 75k on them it doesnt matter?

I would like to get to about 350-375 rwhp (i was told 300-400 was a safe range for an unmodified tranny). I ordered a Air Raid stage 2 cold air kit, and my next plans were to get Boost/egt/trans temp gauges, an Intake tube (banks? ATS? S&B? AFE?) then some type of Tuner/module. I was Recommended a Smarty tuner by one of our suppliers. So am i heading in the right direction, or should i be looking into Injectors/other parts first?

Like i said before, im brand new to the whole forum thing. So any help/suggestions/tips in the right direction, will be GREATLY appreciated. I dont know alot about Diesels, YET!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:53 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

The 53 Block:
https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...info-pics.html

Don't worry about an intake tube, more commonly called intake horn, at this time. More for show, than go on these trucks.

A Smarty would get you to 300-400 HP, but would need more supporting mods. A Smarty is only rated at 65HP increase. If you can find an Edge Juice with Attitude(EJWA), Edge Comp, Quadzilla Adrenaline, these are good for 120-130HP increase. A much better lift pump WILL be required to run a chip of this size though. The EJWA has gauges in it, as well as code reader and turbo timer. Very handy features.

Injectors will help with Mileage and Power. The bigger the injector, the more air you will need to keep the EGT's cool enough. With a stock turbo, you won't want to go over 65HP injectors. The HP rating on injectors referrers to "over stock". If you have plans for a bigger turbo in the near future, you could go to 150HP injectors, and be very careful with your right foot.

The following users liked this post:
DXC814 (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

forget the intake tubes and intake horns. BHAF is all you need there..

avoid oiled air filters, they will just gunk up your turbo and let dirt through.

injectors will give the most gain in power out of most mods but going larger than 7x.010 (150hp) will reduce fuel economy and possibly cause hazing at idle. smoke will also be more of a chore to control.

I run an injector size that is as large as a stock vp44 can fuel (6x.013 SAC) and they haze at idle, lost 2mpg fuel economy (vs stock) and smoke is definitely a chore to keep under control. gotta be very light on the throttle. but the power is worth it

with my fueling box (adrenaline with pulse) turned off I am still putting down 388hp/818tq @ rear wheels. with fueling box set to kill it does 576hp/1285tq @ rear wheels.

anyway, what are your power goals for the truck, and what do you use it for?

that info will help us recommend what mods to do to meet your goals..

DXC814 (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Diesel Fan

I apreciate the advice Raw & Jigabop.

Raw: What lift pump do you recommend? I figured out today that mine is only 95gph and i see most people are running 150gph pumps or dual 150's
My truck currently doesnt smoke at all, If i go the way of an (ejwa) is it basically cheating the system and just dumping fuel? Because i prefer to keep it burning as clean/efficent as possible. I was basically told when your "rolling coal" it is basically just unused fuel burning in the pipes, and if the motor/combination is done right, it wont smoke much.
Like i said, im new to the diesel world, and this is why i joined this forum. Seems like there are alot of helpful post and people eager to give others their advice and experiences. All the companies we get parts from are generally just open when we are, and i cant sit on the phone and ask to many questions...

Jigabop: right now, my power goals are 350-375ish rwhp. According to Diesel power magazine, the stock tranny is good for 300-400. So that is my range for the time being. Eventually, my neighbor owns a very reputable tranny shop and i would like to pull it out and have him help me make it stronger. So right now (since i just spent most of my cash on the truck) i set (i think) a very reasonable power goal that shouldnt be to tough on the truck/tranny/& my wallet...

I use the truck as my daily driver (when i dont ride) and to pull a couple trailers. Pull the family boat 24' (about 3500lb) when its running right.... Also a little 16' enclosed trailer wiith a max gvw of 7000lbs (never came close to that weight). I use to pull both with my 94 Dodge 1500 2wd 5.9 gas

As in keeping with not knowing anything really yet, what do mean when you say "haze at idle"?

Thanks again for all your help so far, i truly appreciate any real word advice i can get, & i am trying to educate myself for my future goals/projects!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

first off welcome to DB!!!! there is a wealth of knowledge here refering to the "haze at idle" you are questioning, its just becuase the injectors are so big that at an idle it will put out a grayish haze out the exhuast or if youd rather a hint of grayish smoke

DXC814 (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Diesel Wrench

here is idle haze:

it cleans up a bit when the engine is hot, but on a cooler day or cold engine:

Name:  C1D36391-24A7-4182-BB40-9226EC90B630-3973-0000030356A63C88_zpsdadd522d.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  417.6 KB

as for your trans...hate to burst your bubble, but if you have a stock auto, it's not going to hold up to 400hp. diesel power mag doesn't have a clue.

torque converter and a valve body will be a good start to making it hold up to that power as long as you don't go around doing boosted launches... as for making that power, you can go about it a couple ways: you could do a mild set of injectors like RV275's or 50hp injectors, and a wiretap fueling box like an edge comp and a set of gauges, OR you could go large on injectors with something like 7x.010's and get either a timing box or a full fueling box but run the fueling box at very low settings till you beef up the trans and upgrade the turbo...

both will do the trick...

if you asked a few years ago I would have told you to get a quadzilla adrenaline with pulse... I made 362hp/882tq @ rears with just my adrenaline on stock injectors and stock turbo back when I first started modding my truck.

quadzilla is out of business though so I no longer recommend them as they are hard to get and the only support you get is from fellow owners.

DXC814 (09-10-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Diesel Fan

Jigabop: What are your thoughts on "Smarty" tuners & Edge juice w Attitude? I can get either of these at decent prices through our suppiers. A smarty tuner and a set of gauges basically would come out to the cost of the edge.

Would my stock inj pump, 95gph lift pump, & stock injectors keep up with either of these for the time being?
If i need a bigger lift pump, is there a certain brand you recommend?

Right now im looking for a little more pep... Now i know myself, and im going to add a little, then want more, and more, then want more.....repeat
So i would like to not buy items that i will be swaping out in a year, and im hoping on being able to make new purchases every couple months.

So here is my tenative plan of attack:
Gauges and a box (like a smarty) or A module with Gauges included (like EJWA)
What brands or examples would you do if you dont like either of these?

Next Injectors, is the first number the # of holes,and second the hole size?
I see you suggested 7x.010 (150hp) & i noticed you said you run 6X.013 (the biggest the stock pump can handle) What hp are those rated at? I would like to keep my fuel economy the best i can, i know more power equals better economy to an extent, when your KEEPING your foot out of it LOL.
So what size do you recommend in my plans?

Next, tackle the weak link... beef up the tranny. I will get with my neighbor on those mods.

and last but probably not done..... bigger turbo
What are your recommendations on that?

I dont mean to be that guy pulling on your shirt tails.... hey mister hey mister
But you have answered Quite of few of my questions and have provided me with many answers.
Plus i watched your Dyno video on Youtube, and you def know what the f your doing!

Once again, Thank you for all the help! Between you and reading a bunch of different post on here, im picking up alot from this site.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Diesel Wrench

building to my level isn't cheap..especially for you since you have an auto...that near doubles your cost right there. built auto's aren't cheap, but if you race they will leave manuals like mine in the dust from a dead stop..rolling start the lighter/more powerful truck will win.

anyway off to your questions:

I have a smarty, but I only use it to get this smokey bastard to pass emissions. PL0 on smarty is -50% below stock power (or in my case right around stock power)

smarty is not the best for making power on these trucks.

edge comp or edge juice with attitude are both about the same, only the juice has gauges built in, and the comp will require you to get mechanical gauges.

I usually recommend the comp or the juice...it's personal preference really they both do the same exact thing performance wise and both will do double the power of a smarty...

stock injection pump is good for up to 650hp...getting to 650 is tricky though. a tired old injection pump like mine has trouble keeping up with how fast the injectors and fueling box are emptying it (I'm actually running the pump out of fuel with my mods...I had to reduce my injector duration to keep it from sputtering)

most trucks at the 650hp level have a ported and polished head.

so that said, your stock injection pump will be fine.

your lift pump is good for up to 500hp. beyond 500hp you will want a 150gph pump.

(I run a 150gph pump and maintain 16psi @ WOT with maximum fueling and I run 20psi at idle)

for a future lift pump I would recommend a FASS150 titanium with a draw straw 5 from vulcan, or a sump.

injectors: yes you are correct with your assumption. the first number is the hole count, and the second is hole size.

it is more accurate to call an injector by its size and type vs giving it a made up hp rating. I suppose you could call my injectors 240hp+ but that wouldn't be accurate. some trucks will make less, some will make more. every setup is different. and even the injectors themselves can be different.

to be fully accurate: my injectors are 6x.013 micro-blind hole SAC injectors with no lift, 152* spray angle and 300BAR pop pressure. most all 6x.013s out there are cylindrical blind SAC injectors. I'm one of the only ones I know of with micro blind 6x.013s. I decided to be a guinea pig and try something different to see if it would reduce the idle haze.

7x.010 is about the largest you can go in injector size before fuel economy starts dropping below stock. 50hp injectors will give the best economy gain. beyond that it gradually reduces with a 7x.010 being close to stock economy.. I'm about 1.5mpg below what I was stock. (my last two fill-ups were 15.5mpg, and stock was 17mpg with the same tires and gears)

if you go with a 7x.010 injector: a good matching turbo would be either a 62/71/14, a 63/68/14, or a set of twins which could go more than one direction with...

most common are stock over ht3b, stock over S472, stock over S475, S357/S472 S357/S475, he351cw/Ht3b, he351cw/S475, etc...

any of those would work...twins require more supporting mods though. usually never cheap.

7x.010 and any of those turbos or combos I mentioned will put you over 500hp so 150gph lift pump will be required...

DXC814 (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Diesel Fan

Holy mother of all info at once... but i guess thats what i asked for... Thanks again for everything! Im going to let this all sink in.... Im not sure i want to ask.. info overload... what do the numbers mean for turbos? ie:62/71/14.. Is it number of fins by angle?

Thank you once again, you have been a **** TON of help! Otherwise i would just be

Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Diesel Wrench

compressor inducer size (mm)/turbine exducer size(mm)/turbine housing size(cm^2 or A/R if the number contains a decimal point)

examples using this:

stock hx35w turbo: 56/60/12
stock hy35w turbo: 56/58/9
super b single: 57/65/14
super hx40: 60/65/16

Last edited by jigabop; 09-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.
DXC814 (09-12-2013)