24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

01 dodge power upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 dodge power upgrades

Ok I have a 2001 dodge ram 3500 with a k&n cold air and EJWA. I want some suggestions on how to get more power kinda in order what to get I try and get a little something Everytime I have a little extra money I know an air dog 165 will be next on the list but after that why for injectores and turbo and any other upgrades I don't want to upgrade from stock vp but I want as much as I can with it so what's your opinions

Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

what transmission do you have?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Auto but I'm not to worried about it when it goes out and it will soon its getting a built one

Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Diesel Wrench

what kind of power are you looking for? max out the SOVP? or a certain hp range? and what do you use the truck for?

regardless of the above:

you need a built trans
fuel pressure gauge. I don't care if the JWA reads fuel pressure...should always have a mechanical gauge anyway for this because it is an extremely important gauge on a vp44 truck...

upgraded lift pump (fass150 titanium > airdog165)
trans temp EGT and boost I assume you can read from your JWA however if you plan on big power, then you need a mechanical boost gauge, or multiple boost gauges like I run if you decide on twins...

map sensor can only read so much boost and I far exceed what it can read.

turbo(s) and injector sizes really depend on how you use the truck and what kind of power you are looking for.

also do you know if you have a D70 or D80 rear end?

if you have a D70, and plan on doing big power upgrades, you might want to consider swapping rear axles for a D80...

Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Diesel Fan

I have a D80 and I have a mechanical boost egt and fuel pressure and the air dog 165 is next for sure and as far as power I don't really have a limit the more the better but I do a lot of pulling but also a lot of daily driving too so kinda a combo if everything

Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Diesel Wrench

sounds like twins will be your best bet then...

so for max power with a sovp44 go with 7x.012 sac or 6x.013 sac injectors (no pintle lift)

with 152* spray angles and 300 bar pop pressures.

for the 7x.012's I would get them from chris @ DFI (ducky fuel injection)
if you decide on 6x.013s (more prone to hazing at idle) I would contact Weston Shupe and have him build them. Weston is the best in the business when it comes to custom competition injectors and he has reasonable prices. (much cheaper and higher quality than DDP and F1)

Chris is also very good at building injectors and he actually gets his nozzles from Weston. He will have 7x.012's readily available vs Weston will take a couple weeks to build them as he does not stock injectors, he builds them on demand as kind of a side business.

now for turbos:

you have a few choices, from cheaper to more expensive: cheapish option would be to use your stock hx35 over a S475 and get a plumbing kit from carl (crazycarlsturbos) or jacob (diesel auto power) they both carry the same kit which carl actually makes.

or you can go with the same combo I have which is S357 (super B single) over S475. costs a bit more because you have to buy two turbos instead of one, but it will perform quite a bit better in the top end.

you could also go a little more expensive yet and do a 62/65/12 over S475. probably perform the best in the top end but be a bit more lag than the hx over 475, and be pretty close to the super b single for lag..

you will also need head studs, push rods and 110-117# valve springs (see my budget pushrod and valve spring thread) you will need a second boost gauge (80 or 100psi) upgraded intercooler boots and spring clamps will be highly recommended, and whatever you need to do to your trans to make it hold up to 550-675hp 1100-1300tq range...

hot unlock for your edge would also be a good idea.

that set up is easily daily driven (I do it almost every day) will tow anything, and you don't need to stare at your egt gauge.

else you can build for less power which will be a bit cheaper...