24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Should I rebuild or replace?? my hy35

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Should I rebuild or replace?? my hy35

Yeah I was tinkering on my truck some today. Decided to remove the intake into the turbo.. Well I discovered some play in the shaft. up and down play. How much play can there be before it gets into the housing and causing it to be junk?
Looking for experience on this type of fix. Usually when the bushing are replaced, it should take care of the play. seeing they are brass, and the shaft being steel??
opinions and advice please.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

there will always be up and down play. the turbine rides on a film of oil. if it were super tight the charger would last about 30 seconds. chances are your charger is fine. but if it does decide to go capput get rid of that little thing and put an air mover on your truck.

The following users liked this post:
kerley (09-22-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say just do a hx35w swap. That's a pretty common fairly cheap swap. I take it you have an auto?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yes I have an auto. I'm looking for a different turbo. If I knew of a HX35w for sale cheap. I'd swap it out.
Back to my turbo, how much movement is OK?? i was looking into reasons why my truck will only build 17 psi at wot with the comp on 5x5. I'm thinking the wastegate may be stuck open or opening to soon. possible interecooler tubing boots may be leaking..

Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

check your wastegate for proper function. but even with a stuck open gate with a good box eventually you should see more boost than that. how is your fuel pressure? if you are sucking the lines dry you are begging for a new vp44 and will have sub par power until you kill the pump. personally i would not call an hx35 an upgrade over an hy. they are nearly the same beast. i would always perfer the hx over the hy but not waste my money swapping them out for one another. and if you can grab hold of the compressor and push it side to side while spinning it and never get it to touch its usable. from what your are saying about your charger it is in fine working order.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbo2332
check your wastegate for proper function. but even with a stuck open gate with a good box eventually you should see more boost than that. how is your fuel pressure? if you are sucking the lines dry you are begging for a new vp44 and will have sub par power until you kill the pump. personally i would not call an hx35 an upgrade over an hy. they are nearly the same beast. i would always perfer the hx over the hy but not waste my money swapping them out for one another. and if you can grab hold of the compressor and push it side to side while spinning it and never get it to touch its usable. from what your are saying about your charger it is in fine working order.
My fuel pressure is about 18psi at idle, it'll drop to the lowest I've seen it 15psi at WOT.

So take a hold of the compressor spin it while pushing on it to see if the blades are actually touchy. OK I will do that. OK, Know let me ask this, Should I be able to grab a hold of the waste gate rod and move it at all? I did just that awhile ago and couldn't move it. reason I am thinking it may be not working properly.

My truck has 234K on the clock, I'm not sure 100% how much the PO did do it. I know I should adjust the valves. I wondering if the low boost PSI how bad that is efecting my overall MPG.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BarryB ive also got the hy35 and with my edge juice on 5 at wot i can hit 33psi with it. what about swapping to an he351?? dont know how much better it is than a hx35 but have seen plenty of guys do it

Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Diesel Bomber

no, you should absolutely not be able to move the wastegate rod. test it with regulated air. it should open around 20psi. if you have an adjustable rod make the linkage shorter so that the gate stays closed longer to gain boost. a 351 is a much better charger but its not quite a bolt on. you will have to spend a little more on adapters and build a charger pipe.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

if you have an hy35 you will want to pre load the wastegate with a turnbuckle.

We have some take off hx35's in good condition.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'm thinking, after reading the the post here. I will remove my turbo, do an over all assessment. If it could use new bushings, bearings, Another thing that has me concerned is the amount of oil residue on the intake opening. also give the waste gate a good look and test also.

Jkidd, so what do you ask for a good hx35??

Quick Reply: Should I rebuild or replace?? my hy35