24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Whining noise when accelerating???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whining noise when accelerating???

I have a whining noise when I accelerate moderately to hard. I really think it is the vp44 bc I can hear my turbo whistle as it spools up and you can tell its coming from the passenger side. This other noise I hear is coming from the driver side which is why I think it's the vp44. It only happens when I have a smarty tune on. If the truck is set stock, it doesn't do it even if I accelerate crazy hard through all 5 gears. It is throwing me off though bc the noise kinda "spools down" when I let off. Is this noise coming from the IP or is it likely just my turbo?

Old 08-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check to see if the bolts on the intake manifold are loose. Sounds to me like you have a boost leak. Check all the boots and fittings, spray all of your boots with starter fluid and around your intake housing and see if it changes idle speed if it does its sucking air somewhere a long the line. But check the manifold first.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

post a video of it....

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by jigabop
post a video of it....
okay I will tomorrow. I just got your post jigabop. it only happens when im accelerating in gear. it doesn't do it at idle.

Last edited by jdepuy618; 08-12-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Diesel Wrench

video with audio can help use point you in the right direction. does free revving cause the noise? power braking? well if you have a stock clutch, power braking isn't the best idea to do...

Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Diesel Fan

I tried uploading the video of the noise. It won't upload. I will have to load it on my computer today then post it from my computer.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Diesel Fan

I noticed the same kind of thing happening to mine after having some issues after replacing a fuel filter cap. I ran some 2 cycle through it and it cleared right up.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by pastthebrink
I noticed the same kind of thing happening to mine after having some issues after replacing a fuel filter cap. I ran some 2 cycle through it and it cleared right up.

I think I have a boost leak. The noise only happens when in gear driving and only under moderate to hard acceleration or in other words, when the boost is built up and when the boost drops, so does the noise. I recently removed the intake elbow off and on about 4 times working on my truck and after that is when the noise appeared. I may have damaged the elbow gaskets, so I am gonna try replacing them and see what happens. Bought 4 for 3 bucks each on genos garage.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Diesel Wrench

build yourself a boost leak detector if you think you have a boost leak.

I built mine for about a $13 shopping trip at home depot...
Name:  20130616_131309_zpsa9288744.jpg
Views: 5393
Size:  54.8 KB

just a threaded pipe plug glued and clamped in the end of a rubber pipe reducer that came with clamps. Drilled and tapped the pipe plug for an air compressor fitting to thread into the end. Just set the regulator on the compressed air, hook it up to the turbo and clamp it on, then hook the air hose to it and start squirting soapy water on any possible place boost can leak...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by jigabop
build yourself a boost leak detector if you think you have a boost leak.

I built mine for about a $13 shopping trip at home depot...

just a threaded pipe plug glued and clamped in the end of a rubber pipe reducer that came with clamps. Drilled and tapped the pipe plug for an air compressor fitting to thread into the end. Just set the regulator on the compressed air, hook it up to the turbo and clamp it on, then hook the air hose to it and start squirting soapy water on any possible place boost can leak...

I will try that if the new gaskets do not work. But given the specifics of my situation, I think hopefully its the gaskets.

Quick Reply: Whining noise when accelerating???