24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Dome lights on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dome lights on all the time

So I started having problems with the overhead click lights flickering randomly about a year ago. About a month ago the door chime would come on randomly and then the next day the dome lights would not turn off. I replaced the door open switch and that fixed the door chime but the overhead lights still stay on... anyone had this problem before and what would fix it?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hade my truck in storage for a year and now my right map light and dome light do the same thing. wtf mate...no door chime yet knock on wood.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

I would start looking at the bcm. These are common bcm issues. I wouldn't replace it until you've had a qualified shop take a look at the data available and determine for a fact that's the cause.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

disconect your batterys for a wile. i disconected mine for a week and my dome lights are back to normal.idk what might of happend but it solved my issue.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

same exact issue in my 95 dome light wouldnt turn off i had to put in a master switch then i tore it all down and built the motor and tranny the whole nine for like idk maybe 6 months it was sitting in the barn all apart put it back together dome light worked like new

Old 09-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

So I am still having this same problem, I replaced the door switch and also put a new CTM under the dash and the lights still stay on, any more ideas? I cant leave my truck batteries disconnected for more than a night because it is my daily driver

Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting your headlight switch? If the dimmer switch is rolled all the way up, the domes come on. Could be a short in there.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

This weekend I replaced the headlight switch and the problem is still there. I disconnected my batteries and they turn off obviously, but the weird thing is... when I connect my wires from my FASS pump to the battery, my dome light turns on. So possibly something to do with the wiring with that? Im at a complete loss and tired of no dome lights in this thing.

And to top it off just blew the head gasket in it this weekend!!!

Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Devon527
This weekend I replaced the headlight switch and the problem is still there. I disconnected my batteries and they turn off obviously, but the weird thing is... when I connect my wires from my FASS pump to the battery, my dome light turns on. So possibly something to do with the wiring with that? Im at a complete loss and tired of no dome lights in this thing.

And to top it off just blew the head gasket in it this weekend!!!
Not really any wiring for dome lights coincide with fass wiring. Where is the fass mounted? Do the wires follow the frame rail? Sounds like its time to pull the loom and chase the wire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

My Fass is mounted on the frame on the D/S near rear tire and yes the wiring runs along the frame. I'm just wondering if there is a way the dome lights are getting power from the original fuel pump harness somehow? Thats the only way I see it doing that

Quick Reply: Dome lights on all the time