24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Question about Cruise control and manual transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about Cruise control and manual transmissions

I am going to be installing cruise control on my 2001 Ram 2500 diesel with a 5 speed manual. I am going to install a factory cruise set up. In researching this, I read somwhere that Manual transmission trucks do not use cruise control servos. Is this true? Can someone with a 24V manual transmission and cruise control verify this??

I have worked on literally 1000s of these trucks but I never paid attention to cruise set ups on manual trucks. What I read was the ECM just controls the throttle with inputs from vehicle speed, brakes, and cruise selector buttons.

The following users liked this post:
TheRadBomber (04-09-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The ecm controls the cruise and all you should have to do is get a different clock sping and the buttons and it should work. I have cruise on my 6 speed.

condor74 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Ramitt
The ecm controls the cruise and all you should have to do is get a different clock sping and the buttons and it should work. I have cruise on my 6 speed.
Thanks. I will go and try and pick up the parts for this today.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

So I picked up a complete new column from the wrecking yard today. They would not just sell me the clock spring and switches but for 80 dollars it was not too bad for the entire column. I may find a way to install the column as I do not have a tilt column and this one is tilt. The only down side is it is an automatic column and I have a 5 speed. I will have to see if I can remove the linkage for the shifter. I know I can remove the shift lever easy enough just would like to get rid of the the rest of the stuff as well. I will keep you posted.

Last edited by condor74; 03-05-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

Actually the PCM directly controls the ECM fly by wire means. Yes its true that the manual trans truck do not have a vacuum motor for pulling the throttle cable. I find that manual cruise control is very stable and less likely to the jerky reactions like auto's with vacuum motors.

I wish I had a wiring diagram of it... But as far as I've learned the PCM has a set of APPS leads tied to the ECM.

condor74 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Diesel Fan

I hooked up the switches and clock spring.. I still have no cruise control. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell the ecm that it has Cruise. All the diagnostics I can find are for automatic equipped trucks with the cruise servo. If I can not get it to go with out the servo, can I install the servo. The plug is there under the drivers battery.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well the thing to check is see if the old wheel has all the connections/wiring for cruise. I've been told and read thats all you need. Does your cruise light come on the dash when you turn the button on the wheel? When you turn the key on I think it should pop up since that is like a bulb test.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Diesel Fan

It does not come on for a bulb test or when you press the buttons on the cruise. I did test drive it and attempted to engage the speed control thinking maybe it is just missing a light. Still no cruise. The clock spring connector does have all the wires to it.

I pulled codes from ECM and PCM with my Snap On scanner. No codes in ECM except the code for trouble code in companion module. PCM had code for speed control solenoid circuit. I didnt write down the P codes. There is no check engine light and the PCM did not have any codes before I started this project.

I am going to check the voltage at the speed control switches tomarrow. According to my diagram. It should come from Pin 22 of the ECM and go through a series of connectors to wind up at Pin 1 or the clockspring. It is supposed to be a red and light green wire. The fact that it sent the single to the PCM makes me think that perhaps the truck is wired differently than a factory cruise truck would be. It may be as simple as connecting that circuit to the right connector in the ecm.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Or another thought is I may have to go and get by my old work and see if they will hook up a DRB to it and may have to manually turn the option on.

Last edited by condor74; 03-06-2013 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I'm not real sure but I don't think there were different options when it came to pcms. You either had auto or manual. I started to read the 01 fsm but ran out of time 3:30am here. I do know the PCM sends power to a wire to turn the cruise light on. Maybe the PCM isn't getting a signal that the cruise is on.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

My cruise on/off button has to be pushed very hard to come on and theres a little light on the button that lights up when it's on. Not sure if a 24 valve even has the same buttons as a 12 valve but worth trying I guess.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tiremann9669
My cruise on/off button has to be pushed very hard to come on and theres a little light on the button that lights up when it's on. Not sure if a 24 valve even has the same buttons as a 12 valve but worth trying I guess.
Nope they are different than the 24vs

Quick Reply: Question about Cruise control and manual transmissions