24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Side cover leak...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side cover leak...

I have a 99 cummins and originally thought I had the common vac pump leak but now I see it is the side cover on the motor driverside, has anyone replaced one of these, or had it done?? How much was it or how long did it take??? Thanks again

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look a few post down from yours there was a discussion about the same thing

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've replaced mine. It was the first time I ever ripped into a diesel. Took my time and did my research. it wasn't that bad, especially if your good with the wrenches. You need to remove the Injection pump to get to all the bolts. basically remove everything on the side of the motor. If i remember correctly, gasket was cheap, 15 bucks maybe.

The following users liked this post:
brand97 (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Diesel Fan

Do you remember about what kinda time you had into it?? a few hours a day? ish??

Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brand97
Do you remember about what kinda time you had into it?? a few hours a day? ish??
I did it when I had some time off, I think I might have had 4 hours in it off and on. But I had more time on the net researching youtube videos and such. Like I said earlier. I did my research before tackling this fix.

Last edited by BarryB; 02-13-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Diesel Fan

K so I started on my side cover gasket repair and made it to the injector pump and wimped out!! not sure enough of myself to tear that far into my daily driver and have heard that bleeding out the fuel system can be a nightmare?? Looks like the pump the seperator and the fuel lines all have to come out of the way??I will try to get more info on that first i suppose

Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Removing the injection pump is not that bad. The transfer lines come out in 2 groups of 3. I have not done the side cover but I have changed several injection pumps. Once you do a few of them, It takes about an hour from removing to complete.
Here is how I do it.

1 remove the road draft tube filter on the front of the timing cover.
2 remove the nut and washer on the front of the injection pump.
3 use a fan wrench to rotate the engine so that the key way on the pump shaft is strait up and down
4 remove the oil dip stick and intake
5 remove the banjo bolts that hold the fuel supply and return lines
6 loosen and remove the line nuts on the back of the injection pump.
7 loosen and remove the lines where they go into the cylinder head.
8 remove the hold down bolts on the top of the intake.
9 remove all the fuel lines
10 use a 15 mm socket and extension to remove the 4 bolts that hold the injection pump to the back of the timing cover
11 use a 13 mm socket and remove the bolts on the bracket at the bottom rear of the injection pump.

To reinstall just reverse the steps.
To purge the air loosen the 3 injector lines at the head that you can easily reach. Turn the key on and have someone crank it until you see fuel coming out of the fuel lines. it will sputter to life and you can tighten them up while it is running. It will run smoother as you tighten each line up.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Don't let it the best of ya.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the info I have started this project oday but ran out of time, got to the point where I had to have the puller to pull the injector gear off. Hope she goes back together in the morning good!! again thanks

Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brand97
Thanks for the info I have started this project oday but ran out of time, got to the point where I had to have the puller to pull the injector gear off. Hope she goes back together in the morning good!! again thanks
A cheap steering wheel puller will work for "pushing" the pump out of the gear. I bought the actual puller for it after I did mine. So i have it for the next time. Just make sure the key way is up. You can ping the key just a bit with a center punch to get it to stay in place. good luck with the project.

Quick Reply: Side cover leak...