24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

oil leak cant figure out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak cant figure out?

ok to begin i just rebuilt my vac pump, but im still getting a leak from that general area. i think its coming from the crankcase vent tube, i also noticed when i had the intercooler pipe off there was oil in there which makes me think my turbo is leaking? but would that make it come out of the vent tube? It only leaks out after driving a while. i checked for blow by today and didnt find any. Im kinda stumped on this, any help would be great! i also saw that it smokes white out the vent tube. Thanks in advance.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

to add some more to it I re-oiled my K&N filter 3k miles ago and i think i might have used alittle much on it could that be whats in my intercooler?

Last edited by cummin-get-it; 02-08-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you "rebuilt" (did you mean resealed?) your vacuum pump did you notice if there was a groove in the pump shaft? If so, most reseal kits won't fix the problem as the seals that come in those kits ride the shaft in the same spot as the old seal. So far, the only reseal kit I've found that provides a dual lip seal that rides slightly deeper on the shaft is the Gould kit. Look them up at GOULD GEAR & ELECTRIC INC..

The crankcase vent tube could be leaking if you haven't dumped the oil puke bottle in awhile. Have you done any of the mods to move it down or somewhere other than where it sits stock? It's a messy job but worthwhile. Also, when the engine is running, there's supposed to be a little smoke coming out of it. That's what the bottle is for...to catch the condensed oil from the smoke.

Regarding the oil in your intercooler, it could be the K&N oil but it could also be engine oil from the turbo. You want to be careful about that filter oil going through your turbo as the heat can make it leave really nasty deposits and carbon fouling in your turbo. If a seal in the turbo is leaking, well, I don't need to say the rest, do I?

Best of luck!