24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Upgrading ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading ideas?

I have a 98.5, 5 speed dually work truck that i use to haul at least 8k and up every week. looking for ideas for max power with good mpg. thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed some RV275 injectors and really like them. Noticable power increase and possibly a couple more MPGs, still too soon to tell. Plus the price was awesome $405 shipped to Canada for genuine Bosch new injectors.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a small tuner would be great for what you are doing. an Edge ez is what i have and it works great when i pull a trailer and there about $200

Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

You need some gauges first: Boost, Pyro, and Fuel Pressure at least. Then I would say either an Edge J/A or and edge comp, depending if you want analog gauges or you like the digital gauges offered with the Edge J/A. Then you going to need a clutch.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Intake, Exhaust, and then fueling. You already have a raptor and exhaust. Im not sure what you mean by banks air intake. Im assuming the intake elbow from the intercooler that they make. You need some sort of cold air intake. You do need atleast a fuel pressure guage. 24v's need those. Gotta keep that VP happy! Then you could throw in some 50-75hp injectors and maybe a 3 piece exhaust manifold. They help alot with spool and keeping EGT's in check.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 AM

thanks for all your advice!

the guy a bought my truck from put the banks power pack on the truck. and i have pyro and boost guage but not fuel psi. so far i added the smarty and raptor to it. i guess now after i put a clutch in then do injectors, turbo, and maybe prop injection. any thoughts on these?

Last edited by levinelson; 12-26-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Diesel Fan

Seems like most guys are scared of, or hate propane injection. I'm a licenced auto tech and I worked at a shop where we did at least 100 propane conversions on gas jobs in the late 90s. I wouldn't mind trying it. I saw some ebay kits that were cheap enough to take the chance on them, the few bits of info I could find said some guys got into the 32 mpg range. But you have to factor in the propane you are burning too. Unless you really want to go wild your stock turbo should be good enough...for awhile anyways

Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 PM

well if i add anymore fuel upgrades the stock turbo wont produce the right amount of air to fuel thats needed. atleast from what i have been told anything over 75hp power increase would call for a bigger turbo. And from what i have heard prop helps your engine burn almost 100% of the fuel dumped into it. if you have it set up where you constantly get a little amount going in you can see 30hp and lower egts. and i have heard it's over all good for the motor when useing the right amounts.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by levinelson
well if i add anymore fuel upgrades the stock turbo wont produce the right amount of air to fuel thats needed. atleast from what i have been told anything over 75hp power increase would call for a bigger turbo. And from what i have heard prop helps your engine burn almost 100% of the fuel dumped into it. if you have it set up where you constantly get a little amount going in you can see 30hp and lower egts. and i have heard it's over all good for the motor when useing the right amounts.
I'm far from an expert, but your HX35w is good enough for close to 400HP, stock was 235HP. If you go real big on the injectors I agree you will need more turbo, but I thought you wanted something more for power and mileage. My turbo was the smaller HY35 so I upgraded to the HX like you have. In stock form with no programmer it only made 17-19psi of boost. With the larger injectors and the Comp box it hits 35psi now and my EGTs have never went over 1100. My truck with the 40 horse injectors and the Edge Comp set on level 3 has all the power I will ever need. A bigger turbo will be slower to spool up making it worse for towing IMO. Plus turbos are expensive, I would do all the other mods you would like first and worry about a turbo last. I think the propane inj. would be interesting. I'm going to research it a bit more. Propane isn't that cheap up here anymore. It's about 50 cents a litre usually.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 PM

what kind of milage are you getting with that set up?

Quick Reply: Upgrading ideas?