24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

1999 dodge 24v warped head !! help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge 24v warped head !! help

how yall doin, new here, well im going to get to it, ok i just traded my 01 gasser for this cummins, it needs new tires trans is strong 4x4 works great , well i get home and theres smoke coming from under hood, so i shut it off, oil every where rite under pump, shi****
this is my only ride i just had a baby just turned 21 and i own a lawn biz, and this sucks !!, im going to get pictures soon, its pushing alot of oil out, and it has tons of blow by ,its smoking now but i thought it was smokin from a bad tps,

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

does any one know if i can stick a 12v in it it was a 1998 build date , what do i need , and if i did what about the trans ?? what will control it,

Last edited by blownup5.9; 10-12-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

if the head is warp just replace the head? There a company somewhere where you can swap heads and pay 700 bucks for a new one? you can put in a 12V but it does take work and will take more time to confiqure everything..

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

Just sounds like a blown gasket to me. Pull the head have it surfaced and you should be fine.

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

The following users liked this post:
RanchhandTCR (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 PM

it is really bad its smoking really bad also i dont know if its rings or what

if it was a blow head gasket, would there be water in oil or oil in water

it has 250k on it idk if the smoke is rings or oil or what i could take a video its white smoke and its alot

Last edited by blownup5.9; 10-12-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Diesel Bomber

Ok thats a sign of a bad head gasket, you could put a gauge on your radiator cap pump it up and see if it bleeds off...

Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM

where would i get a pump ??

and when its running and i take oil cap off it has alot of blow by

Originally Posted by RanchhandTCR
if the head is warp just replace the head? There a company somewhere where you can swap heads and pay 700 bucks for a new one? you can put in a 12V but it does take work and will take more time to confiqure everything..
which company

Last edited by blownup5.9; 10-12-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Diesel Bomber

I would have to get ahold of my friend that did this and he is currently in the mountains chasing elk... But you can take it to a shop and see if they can pressure test the coolant system and you may even be able to rent it from auto zone... it just replaces the cap on the radiator and then you can pressurize it and look for leaks around the head gasket.. the oil cap sit on top of the cylinder head so if the gasket is bad it will have alot of blow by. look at the tube in front of the timing cover and see how much blow by you have there... But if the head is warped its not going to cost any more to just take it to a machine shop to re surface it....

Old 10-12-2012, 11:10 PM

I would have to get ahold of my friend that did this and he is currently in the mountains chasing elk... But you can take it to a shop and see if they can pressure test the coolant system and you may even be able to rent it from auto zone... it just replaces the cap on the radiator and then you can pressurize it and look for leaks around the head gasket.. the oil cap sit on top of the cylinder head so if the gasket is bad it will have alot of blow by. look at the tube in front of the timing cover and see how much blow by you have there... But if the head is warped its not going to cost any more to just take it to a machine shop to re surface it....
there is so much bow by it blows the cap rite off !!! its spraying oil every where its a bad leak would a blown head gasket make white smoke?? and run really rough ??

Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Diesel Bomber

yes it will, because the head gasket is what keeps all the compression gases inside the cylinder walls. IF its is bad it will go out side the head, and white smoke is partiely burned fuel and/or coolant. If you head gasket cannot seal then it cannot keep and make compression. What you can do to see what the white smoke is, is to smell it. Does it smell like anitfreeze or fuel? if its antifreeze its likely the head gasket.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 PM

yes it will, because the head gasket is what keeps all the compression gases inside the cylinder walls. IF its is bad it will go out side the head, and white smoke is partiely burned fuel and/or coolant. If you head gasket cannot seal then it cannot keep and make compression. What you can do to see what the white smoke is, is to smell it. Does it smell like anitfreeze or fuel? if its antifreeze its likely the head gasket.
Smells like fuel to me??

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge 24v warped head !! help