24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Track Locator - Bar For Front Axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Every trac bar out there has heim joints in it. I'm no engineer so I won't try to explain why but there's no such thing as a trac bar tie rod. These are a whole different animal then you have on yer Ford. Chrysler is the only brand that uses this trac bar system.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

.: THUREN FABRICATION :.

Don Thuren has THE BEST track bar for the 2nd Gens...You can't go wrong with his

The following users liked this post:
Nitelord (03-10-2008)
Old 03-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
Every trac bar out there has heim joints in it. I'm no engineer so I won't try to explain why but there's no such thing as a trac bar tie rod. These are a whole different animal then you have on yer Ford. Chrysler is the only brand that uses this trac bar system.
That is wrong in many ways. I have never in my life seen a vehicle come stock with any type of heim joint, ever. I actually am a mechanical engineering student and have been in the 4x4 for many years now. I don't have a Ford either I drive a 2001.5 dodge. Chrysler is not the only brand that uses a track bar system. This is not a new and definitely not only a Chrysler specific thing. A 3 link with a panhard (track bar) has been used on many vechicles for many years.

The tie rod end is used on many panhard (track bars). It is the exact same type of idea that is used on on steering linkage ie. tie rods and drag links.

Now, I'm not saying that by using a heim(rod end) on your vehicle is a bad idea by any means. I personally have 10 of them, 4 1 1/4's and 2 7/8's and 3 3/4's on my rockcrawler. I too used the 3/4 on my panhard as well. The work wonderful for what I use them for, however I believe a johnny joint or a RE flex style joint would be a better option in this case.

Here is a example of what I am talking about.
Name:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  82.5 KB

And here is an example of my radius arm 3 link in action. It is extremely close to the dodge suspension system.
Name:  P1010364.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  101.2 KB

EDIT: The company that ChinookCE suggested I noticed uses a rubicon express joint as well. Thuren Fabrication-Dodge track bar

Last edited by Ford_Ktm; 03-09-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:57 PM
BOMBARDIER

Easy Bud, were on the same team here. You don't have anything in your signature and I look at the name and have to assume that your a Ford guy.

On the Thuren Bar I can't see what's under the bracket but would have to assume that it's a heim joint under there. It also says that they fit between a 5 and 10 inch lift, can they be used on stock height trucks also. And ya Panhard bars are what I've seen on most other cars and trucks but I've never seen anything stock like our Trac Bars on anything other then Chrysler myslef.

Nitelord (03-10-2008)
Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts
Nitelord (03-10-2008)
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Nobody liked this option?:

I was in Billings a few weeks ago and came across a good track bar replacement. Im not affiliated with this guy in any way but I thought this might help some of you out.

What he does is take the stock track bar and welds a cap on it, he then takes the OEM nylon out of the cup and replaces it with a steel socket. He then puts a cap on the top, greases it up and youre good to go. The cost was $215 and he claims that this will be the last track bar you will buy. Also, said if you ever wear it out, he will REPLACE it - no questions asked.

If youre interested - heres the info:

Franks Auto
316 Reynold Road
Billings, Mt
406-591-4644

As a point of reference...I was going to get a ThurenFab Trackbar - they retail at $300 + shipping, or a DT Profab and they are running $360+ shipping. At the time I bought this, A Moog bar was over $200 and the NAPA Gold was $217

He is more than willing to ship these out and if you have any questions, just give Frank a call. One thing - he will need you to supply an OEM Trackbar.

Heres a couple of pics:

Name:  Trackbar1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  45.9 KB

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 03-09-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Nitelord (03-10-2008)
Old 03-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
Easy Bud, were on the same team here. You don't have anything in your signature and I look at the name and have to assume that your a Ford guy.

On the Thuren Bar I can't see what's under the bracket but would have to assume that it's a heim joint under there. It also says that they fit between a 5 and 10 inch lift, can they be used on stock height trucks also. And ya Panhard bars are what I've seen on most other cars and trucks but I've never seen anything stock like our Trac Bars on anything other then Chrysler myslef.
No hard feelings, I didn't mean anything by it, but on the Thuren Bar, you can't see it, but it says they uses a RE joint under the parts listed....

Old 03-10-2008, 03:56 AM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by lukesdiesel
I got pretty well slammed every time I have ever mentioned Lukes Links.

Nitelord (03-10-2008)
Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ChinookCE
.: THUREN FABRICATION :.

Don Thuren has THE BEST track bar for the 2nd Gens...You can't go wrong with his
My track bar went out a week and 2 days ago (last Friday). I experienced death wobble on the freeway, at 65 MPH. Was NOT fun. Had to drive to work shortly after. Experienced DW about 8 times in 2 miles or so. Rattled so bad it took out my welded starter leads out of my T top terminal connections, leaving me to believe my starter had gone. Went back to truck next AM, found that wasnt case, shoved wires back in T connection, started truck, and got it home.

Posted this all up on another forum I am on, and was looking into all types of alternatives. After calling/leaving a message, and looking at prices for OEM replacements, it is looking like I am going to wait the 2 weeks for Thuren Fabrication's trackbar, as Don has been nothing but a great help on the phone. As a backup though, I am looking into a Lukes Link for my spent bar I am pulling out, as it has been recommended by a friend of mine who has used it and is satisfied (though he does not off-road his truck as much as I do).

For the price, $300 for Thuren, $340 (for my build date 4x4 CTD Ram), and $360+ for DT profab's, I think I will get best bang for my buck with Thuren's $300 rebuildable model, + $60 lukes link for my old bar as a emergency replacement.

-Jeremy

Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 AM
GRI
Diesel Bomber
Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts

if you install Dons (thurens) trac bar you cant use your stock one ever again. you have to weld on a bracket on the frame end.

Quick Reply: Track Locator - Bar For Front Axle