24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

24v longitivity and worth

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24v longitivity and worth

2001 24v cummins with 270,000 miles for roughly 9 grand bin well taken care of for sure also has a 6 speed what do you guys think about that all new lifter pumps and injection pumps and how low are these miles when talking about cummins

Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Diesel Fan

Personally, I think it's probably a good deal, depending on what condition the rest of the truck is in.

I have a really good 1999 CTD 2500HD 4x4 QuadCab long bed with 209,000 on it that I'd be willing to sell. It has a complete 170,000 mile 2000 powertrain in it - engine, tranny, transfercase, driveshafts. (It was originally a 53 cracked block truck, and I bought a wrecked 2000 Sport and I changed all the guts out.) No rust/rot, was a south eastern PA truck, and although I live in NY, it hasn't seen a NY winter yet. Automatic tranny, 241HD transfer case, Dana 70 rear with limited slip locker, and Dana 60 front. 4.10 gears. All fluids have been changed out and are synthetic (except for the engine, which runs 15W-40 Shell Rotella). She's a really great truck, but I could use the money more than I need my truck. Another big plus is that she's unmolested stock, and the injection pump had been replaced prior to me getting it, so it's not all that old either. Anyhow, $13,000 OBO is what I'm after if I'm going to sell it. (I undoubtedly have more than that into it.)

Sorry that this turned into a sales pitch, but it did.

Let me know if you (or anyone you know) are interested!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Site Sponsor - 1aauto
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

The truck sounds pretty nice. but 9K still seems a little high for something with almost 300K on it

Old 09-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by 1AMatt
The truck sounds pretty nice. but 9K still seems a little high for something with almost 300K on it
A diesel truck's value really depends on the truck's condition and how it was used.

It's like buying a farm tractor, and NOT like buying an automobile.

If the 270K is mostly highway miles, then there's nothing to worry about.

Have you priced a new diesel truck lately?

If the truck isn't rotted, beat to hell, or just all worn out, then $9K is downright reasonable for an '01 Cummins 6spd 4x4 truck - especially if the pumps have been replaced, and if the drivetrain and suspension have been reworked/rebuilt. With 270K, they most likely have been at some point.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Diesel Fan

got my 2001 with 206K on the clock full leather slt long bed for 8400. just to give you an idea. it was a florida truck, 2 owners, perfect condition. hell, barely had a ding on it. had been a 5th wheel hauler. runs like a champ.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by bms231
got my 2001 with 206K on the clock full leather slt long bed for 8400. just to give you an idea. it was a florida truck, 2 owners, perfect condition. hell, barely had a ding on it. had been a 5th wheel hauler. runs like a champ.
Is it a 2500 or a 3500? 2wd or 4x4? Quad cab or regular cab?

I ask because there are lots of variants of the Cummins powered Rams trucks out there, and for example, the 2wd pickups are worth substancially LESS than a 4x4 comparable diesel pickup, which would easily explain your truck selling for under the 10K mark.

That, and the insane price of fuel has driven the truck market prices down a bit. What keeps them in check is the fact that new fully loaded diesel trucks are unaffordable for most people nowadays.

Not to discount bms231's truck, but being from Florida, it could easily have been a flood victim or have a lot of hidden rust/rot from saltwater, depending upon where it came from in FL. Always be sure to do some research and really look 'em over good before you buy.

Anyhow, $8,400 is an exceptional price for a 2500 or 3500 Ram, Cummins, 4x4, quad cab, stick shift, fully loaded with all of the options pickup truck from the 1998.5-2002 era. It is only an average deal for any less of a truck.

If your truck has an automatic trans, I hope it has been well cared for. We all know how shitty Dodge truck trannys are if not meticulously maintained - especially if it does a lot of towing/hauling. Remember to change the fluid and filter on a yearly basis (if driven daily) and to adjust the transmission bands at the recommended intervals. (I think it's recommended at like every 15,000 miles or something like that - to be honest, I forget and would have to look it up.) The trans band adjustment interval recommendation and procedure is found in the OEM service manual. You typically do it when you have the pan off to change the filter, since you have to have the pan off anyhow. It seems that more often than not, it's the torque converters that burn up and ruin the rest of the tranny in most Dodge automatics. Not sure why they can't build a decent tranny from the factory, since the good aftermarket builders seem to know how to re-build them to be "bulletproof".

Finally, be sure that it doesn't have the infamous "53" engine block. (If you don't know about them, you probably shouldn't be buying a Cummins powered Dodge pickup.) The 53 5.9L engine blocks are well known to crack and leak coolant, leading to necessary engine replacement which is NOT cheap! They can be randomly found in many Dodge diesel trucks, typically from 1997 to 2002. Believe me, you don't want one of those unless you want to change an engine to the tune of $3,000 - $5,000 depending on where you obtain your replacement Cummins and what your overhead costs plus labor is going to cost you. The block numbers are cast into the engine block, near the left front of the engine (driver's side), below the power steering pump area and just above the oil pan mounting surface. They are usually a little difficult to see, and are sometimes covered in goop and road grime attracted by and from the engine crankcase breather / oil spewer.

All the best.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought last yeat a 2001 5.9 HO cummins with 287,xxx with the 6spd tranny. had origainal every thing injuctors, pumps and clutch. the truck was all highway miles for the first 250,000 the rest in the last 3 years daid the old man. i bought if for 6500 dollors it was the slt and 4x4 too. now the motor runs great! i have 310,000 miles and i have hot rodded it. i run the **** out of it and still good to go. but the body when i bought is what the good ol illinois rust. i fixed it in my shop for just shy of 700 dollars and a lot of hours. wither or no thisis a good deal all up to you but this is a comparison for you.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by scottmorgan
i bought last yeat a 2001 5.9 HO cummins with 287,xxx with the 6spd tranny. had origainal every thing injuctors, pumps and clutch. the truck was all highway miles for the first 250,000 the rest in the last 3 years daid the old man. i bought if for 6500 dollors it was the slt and 4x4 too. now the motor runs great! i have 310,000 miles and i have hot rodded it. i run the **** out of it and still good to go. but the body when i bought is what the good ol illinois rust. i fixed it in my shop for just shy of 700 dollars and a lot of hours. wither or no thisis a good deal all up to you but this is a comparison for you.
Scott,

Sounds like a heckuva deal when you bought it, if you ask me. Then you went and made it into a really awesome truck for a little money and a lot of hard work - Sweet!

How much do you figure you have into it now, with all the mods, body work, plus your parts and labor? Be honest, don't downplay it. Gotta be around the $10 grand mark. Labor ain't free, no matter who does it... and all the upgrade goodies that you've added to it, like the AirDog, turbo, programmer, etc. don't come cheap either!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by TurboDiesel
Is it a 2500 or a 3500? 2wd or 4x4? Quad cab or regular cab?
2001 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 2wd Extended Bed Auto

What keeps them in check is the fact that new fully loaded diesel trucks are unaffordable for most people nowadays.
Agree 100%. The cost of a new diesel is crazy!

Not to discount bms231's truck, but being from Florida, it could easily have been a flood victim or have a lot of hidden rust/rot from saltwater, depending upon where it came from in FL. Always be sure to do some research and really look 'em over good before you buy.
Truck spent 8 years in FL then 3 years in NY. 2 owners. Body is clean. Appears to have always been garage kept b/c the paint is immaculate. It has some flaws, but for an 11yr old truck its pretty dang good. You know you have an owner who cares about the truck when you find little things like screening covering the radiator to prevent those nasty florida bugs from clogging it up and the leather seats repaired with good leather on the driver's side where it tears over the hears of getting in and out of the truck.

I paid 300 bux to have a local dealer go through it before I bought it and he pointed out every flaw. I got under the truck too and looked around. Only a few minor flaws. Auto trans pan was a cork gasket and leaking. Front drivers side ball joint torn. A/c line had burst and got a road side repair. Dash crack and broken heated seats (which I fixed). Up/down seat motors busted. Over all very minor things. ECU had not been reset which is most important.

If your truck has an automatic trans, I hope it has been well cared for. We all know how shitty Dodge truck trannys are if not meticulously maintained - especially if it does a lot of towing/hauling.
Truck had a 5th wheel in it w/ all the extra support arms and someone added a receptical for the 5th wheel in the bed. All of the work done on the truck looks very clean. I don't know when the 5th wheel was put on, but judging by the rust on the holes drilled, not too long ago. Tranny shifts well and I had the pan removed and fluids changed and everything looked pretty good. Only issue I have right now is after dodge served the tranny it shifts kinda hard into reverse. Fluid level fine.

Btw the former owner kept the records in the manual and he serviced the truck at regular intervals.

Finally, be sure that it doesn't have the infamous "53" engine block.
The first thing I had checked out I didn't take the used car lot's opinion on it. I had to see myself. No 53. It did have the manual lift pump fail and had the in-tank replacement. I ripped that out recently and put in a pureflow raptor since I don't plan on modifying the truck. Also checked for the killer dowel pin and I forget what else but the list was pretty long.

Last edited by bms231; 09-16-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have 6500 for the truck
i have 750 for the cluch
i have 700 for the body work
i have 500 for the air dog
i have 600 for the quadzilla
i have 900 for the turbo and elctronics for it
i have 500 for 100hp injecors and connecting tube with orings
i have 400 for 3" body lift
i have 80 for the 2.5 level kit
i have 500 for tires
i ahve 200 fir rims
i have 50 for home aid air intake
i have 100 for misc.
i have about 12,000 all together in my truck. this is with all my own work. if i would have paid to have people do this it would be a hell of alot more!

i love my tuck though it is nice and acording to kbb its still worth more than 12 with the miles on it plus i could point out all the new: tires injectors ect.
thats what i got into mine and i think im finally done. unless i find a parts truck with an auto in it. that will be a big project though