24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Low fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok fellas I need some help, info, or something. This truck is literally drinking diesel like Ive never seen it do before. Like my last post I had 7/8 of a tank of fuel and right now it setting right above 3/8 of a tank and I've only went 245 miles Now is it just me or does that sound really low?? I've checked for fuel leaks found that #6 injector nut was alittle loose so tightened it back up. Other than that no leaks at all. Ive checked the oil level to make sure its not leaking fuel and making more oil, oil level is still the same as it was when I changed it. Could it be possible that my fuel gauge is crapping out on me??? When I first bought the truck the fuel gauge didnt work an it ended up being that the float had literally fell apart an was floating in the tank. Also a guy I work with said it could possibly be that Ive got a failed ring/rings but the truck doesnt seem to blow a crap ton of oil from the breather. It actually has just alittle bit oil residue at the end of the tube. Also when the motor is up to operating temp theres some steam that comes out of the breather tube, its a steady stream of steam its not like its puffing out like a frake train. So I need any kind of info/help that anyone would know of PLEASE help me out. The truck used to get 500 to 600 miles on a tank now Im lucky if I get 350

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

BTW while going down the road I can literally set an watch the fuel hand drop. Like today when I left work it was setting on or just alittle above 3/8 of a tank an I looked at it when I was coming home an it was setting under 3/8 of a tank. I dont live probably 10-12 miles from where I work.

Last edited by redneck_cummins; 09-27-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you fill it up , drive it a day or two, then check the milage? Thats the only way your going to know if you have a problem or not. Until then it seems like your just pissin in the wind.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yes I realize I would be better off to fill the bastard up but I do not have the money to fill it all the way up. All I wanted to know would cause it to drink fuel. I should not be able to set an watch the fuel drop from 7/8 of a tank all the way down to a 1/2 or alittle below 1/2 of a tank just driving 12-13 miles. Anyways from 7/8 to a full tank of fuel wouldnt make that big of a difference maybe 6-7 gallons more Im not really sure though. I dont mean to sound like an *** but Im sick an tired of putting all of my hard earned money into the tank just to set an see the fuel gauge drop like its just pissing it away

Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_cummins
Yes I realize I would be better off to fill the bastard up but I do not have the money to fill it all the way up. All I wanted to know would cause it to drink fuel. I should not be able to set an watch the fuel drop from 7/8 of a tank all the way down to a 1/2 or alittle below 1/2 of a tank just driving 12-13 miles. Anyways from 7/8 to a full tank of fuel wouldnt make that big of a difference maybe 6-7 gallons more Im not really sure though. I dont mean to sound like an *** but Im sick an tired of putting all of my hard earned money into the tank just to set an see the fuel gauge drop like its just pissing it away
My trucks guage acts like im pissing away my diesel after the first quarter of the tank and then the last quarter LASTS FOREVER!!! it freaked me out but I filled her up and hand callculated and walla 19MPG so im happy.. But can you hear excessive valetrain rattle? if you do maybe you should have Valve Lash done that helps with milage to..

The following users liked this post:
redneck_cummins (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Yeah now see thats something else that gets me. My guage does the same thing as urs Ranchhand. From about full to 1/4 of a tank it drops like crazy, but thing is when its at 1/4 of a tank it seems to take forever to drop any. Do you think it could possibly be the float in the tank fixin to take a crap on me??

Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redneck_cummins
Well you might want to save a few dollars to fill it up then. Because until you put a pencil to paper and figure out what kind of milage you are getting your not going to know what kind of problem you could be having. You mightfind out its a fuel gauge and then it might not be. But until then you are asking what someone "thinks" might be wrong with it, and if you start throwing parts at it thats ginna be way more exspensive than filling the truck up.

The following users liked this post:
Russ Roth (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Well you might want to save a few dollars to fill it up then. Because until you put a pencil to paper and figure out what kind of milage you are getting your not going to know what kind of problem you could be having. You mightfind out its a fuel gauge and then it might not be. But until then you are asking what someone "thinks" might be wrong with it, and if you start throwing parts at it thats ginna be way more exspensive than filling the truck up.
See thats the thing Mike Ive already throwed parts at it an no difference. Im to the point of selling the pissen thing. It seems like everytime I think Ive got it figured out something goes wrong with it. I replaced the vp thinking that was the problem but it seems like it wasnt an I also replaced the apps.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Well you might want to save a few dollars to fill it up then. Because until you put a pencil to paper and figure out what kind of mileage you are getting your not going to know what kind of problem you could be having. You might find out its a fuel gauge and then it might not be. But until then you are asking what someone "thinks" might be wrong with it, and if you start throwing parts at it that's gonna be way more expensive than filling the truck up.
This is the ONLY way you will know for sure if you have low fuel mileage. Without fill up at the same pump the same way and hand calculating your mileage anything else is a complete wast of time and money. From what I see and my own experience none of the overheads are reliable and neither is watching the fuel gauge drop. Or not. You very well could be in a tizzy over nothing.

Last edited by Russ Roth; 09-29-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost