1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Wiring problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem.

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm not double posting here.
Well I traded my 80 CJ7 Jeep for this 92 Dodge D350 a couple of weeks ago. It's a pretty clean straight truck. I have wanted a truck like this for years. Well now I'm starting to kinda regret it. I have one hell of a wire problem. My blinkers, hazards and brake lights do not work. I replaced the 2 blinker bulbs and now my running lights do not work with my head lights. When I use my blinkers or hazards and they do click on the fuse block but no lights but there are a few wires that start to smoke and get red under the driver side hood. I can tell the wires the hood have been hacked. Now I'm pointing toward the trailer plug in the back. Some previous owner spliced in a 7 prong trailer plug like a new dodge has. I took off all the electric tape to look but I didn't see nothing touvhing. Could this still be a problem. I need some help. I'm getting fed up messing with it.

"On the road using Tapatalk"

Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 AM

You might want to check your ground wire(s) up by the driverside battery. I did a cummins swap into an old ford crewcab an used the dodge wiring harness. By doing this I save about $400 and the harness was plug and play into the speedometer dashboard etc.

Back to your issue, in the process i had to cut and splice, shorten and lengthen wires. The ground wire(s) are pretty crappy in my opinion. There are about 6, 18 guage wires that goto 2, 18gauge wires in the harness where they connect to the innerfender, drivers side via a screw. If any of those grounds break I would imagine you would have troubles. the wires are spliced (with a tiny crimp connecter) at somewhat of a random location within the harness. All the front parking, turn signals etc for the front are grounded there. (the only other ground in my harness was on the firewall in the middle and I don't remember what that ground connected to, and once again, multiple thin grounds all crimped together from the factory with 18gauge wire.) It's amazing how small of gauge these wires are compared to the old trucks.

I don't know if this will fix your issue, and only going on my experience, but might give you something to start out with. One thing is for sure, you'll see how cheap dodge was with there wiring.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had problems just like this and also problems with charging. I just took the whole wire harness out from under the hood (disconected everything and from the fire wall big plug) and just start taking all the tape off and completly re-wired the whole harness. It was time consumeing but i used thicker wire and better connectors and then put it all back in and fixed all that. I also took out the fuse box and bought a universal one from american auto wire i think or maybe painless wire i cant remember but i put a new fuse box in there and them also from the fuse box i ran all new wires out the back to the tail lights and trailer plug and use thicker wire and all new stuff then replaced the turn signal and washer wiper switch, ignition switch, new ECM, all the relays, new fuses, and replaced ALL the bulbs and used bulb grease and I dont have a single problem. But it was a pain in the butt, but I know its all right and will last me a long time!!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 AM

X's 2

PAIN in the

Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 AM

You know I was just telling myself that last nite. The wires under the hood is a freaken mess. Some previous owners took all the fusable links out just started twisting ends together with some twist end connectors like you would use wiring inside of a home. This is why I'm not an electrician cause I can only go so far with it and then I start to lose my patients . I figured out the brake light and running lights but I'm stumped on the blinkers, hazards and door locks. I'm pulling the harness today redoing all of it.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

One thing that will help you is go to o'reileys and get you a book (Idk the name of them) but its everything on a 1984 ish to 1993 Dodge pickups it'll have wiring diagrams in it that will help you out thats what I used.

AND LABEL ALL THE CONNECTORS YOU UNPLUG!!!!! Use some scotch tape and sharpie and just wrap the tape around the wire leaving some hangin off and write what it went to. Itll help in the long run and i labeled my siliniods like #1, #2, ect instead of writing what they was

Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 PM

Yeah i have been using alldata and pretty much got everything you need plus more

Old 07-28-2012, 09:24 PM

yep i agree with these guys ... itll be as project, but in the end youll have a better setup.. i just finished up my 96 ford with a ve pumper.. and when it came to the wiring .. i hesitated at first but in the end i just tackled it and pulled it all out and put all new stuff in. after i was done i filled a 55 gallon barrel 3/4 full of junk wire

Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 PM

Well a good friend of mine came over today and we went through this whole truck rewiring everything. Figure out the multifunction switch was bad, cut all the trailer wiring that was spliced in horrible to the harness, took out the electric brakes system and we hooked up some fuse blocks under the hood. Everything works pretty good now. Now all i got to do is put my dash back together and im not sure im up for that . I appreciate all the help and i will let you know how it goes in the near future.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Sweet good deal, and yeah puttin in new fuse box's solves alot of your problems and also I went ahead a put in a new turn signal switch, ignition switch, and light switch. along with new bulbs so that solves a buncha little problems. But good luck!

Quick Reply: Wiring problem.