1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

HELP!!!! I tried to manually ground my O/D and might have fried ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! I tried to manually ground my O/D and might have fried ECM?

So... I tried the O/D bypass to ground trick to try and figure out what exactly my O/D problem was (overdrive jumps in and out for no reason). I flipped the switch to ground (at cruising speed) and after several seconds the switch got warm so as I went to turn it off and before i could my truck up and died! noe it wont start. I also do not have windshield wipers, backup lights, guages, speed cont. or cig lighter. NEED HELP FAST!! did I fry the computer?? or is there a fuse?? Or???

Old 06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Look in your fuse block for an ECM fuse. Each thing the ECM controls is seperate from one another so I dunno how you'd fry the whole thing. Your OD kickin in n out sounds like a faulty TPS sensor.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your fuseable links.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it was a fusable link! Whew! Thanx!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh, and by the way, the mechanic at Dishman Dodge in Spokane said my truck didn't have fusable links! So thanx for all the help. By the way, why fusable links??? Can I replace the fusable links with a rewire and blade style fuse block?

Last edited by tom crain; 06-24-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

Fusible links were intentionally used as compared to a standard cartridge fuse as, if one were to open, it usually meant a substantial fault has occurred and needed in depth repair. While many convert to cartridge fuses, it's often because the fusible links are perhaps more difficult to get.