1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

6.7L into 1st Gen How Hard???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 6.7L into 1st Gen How Hard???

I'm wanting to put a 6.7L into a 1st Gen and just wondering how hard it would be?

Motor mounts

68RFE mounts

And mainly Wiring!!!

Can I just wire into the 1st gen wiring harness? Or am I going to have to rob the wiring harness and ecm from a newer model truck with a 6.7L??? Just wondering what the difficult level of this would be.

Any help would be great!

Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck . But you would have.to.get an ecm and attempt to wire it into the 1st gen, or buy a Zuess that will run the engine, and idk about the 68, I would either go with a standard or possibly a 47

Sent from my G'zOne Commando

Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

you would need all of the engine/transmission wiring from the doner truck to make the engine run. then adapt the first gen sensors over to get the dash to work. so what i mean is you may end up with 2 water temp sensors 2 tach sensors and so on becasuse the 6.7 ecm isnt going to read the VE sensors and i doubt the VE would read the 6.7 sensors. you would also need the TPS from the doner truck. also you would need to give the 6.7 ecm some kind of wheel speed reading to get the trans to shift right so what you could do there is swap the AAM rear axle from the doner truck also since it would have the speed sensor in it. plus you would get a stronger rear axle that way.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well I didnt plan on using a doner truck i just know where i can get a motor and a tranny but i do know where a salvage yard is that only has
Dodge vehicles so i could get a trucl there and if it was wrecked bad enough to were the motor and trany was no good it would give me some core's and them after i robbed all the parts i needed i could sell it back tothe salvage yard i guess to save some money, but do you think the wiring would be a huge pain in the butt?? And whats a Zuess?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any advantages of a 6.7 over a 5.9? My neighbor has a truck with that engine and can only get 16 mpg at best.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

P-Pump it and get a standalone to make the trans work or put in a manual.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

P-Pump the 6.7?????? Or the 5.9 thats in the truck now?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor
Received 107 Likes on 99 Posts

you could ppump the 6.7 if you wanted. there are 3-4 companys that build the custom billet timing cases to make the pump clear the head on the 6.7 it would be alot less expensive to just ppump the engine that you already have tho. there is also a few more options like you could use your 12v head and change the pistons and basicly end up with a ppumped 12v 6.7 or you could put the 6.7 crank in your 5.9 block and bore the block 040 over and end up with a 6.2L this options requires a little bit of machine work to the pistons but its no big deal.

on the wiring you would have to wire the engine/trans to basicly be standalone from the truck the only thing coming from the truck to the ecm would be ign tps and vss basicly the ecm dosnt care what the engine is in as long as it has the sensors that it needs. then same way with the dash in the first gen you would just have to add the old sensors and wiring to the new engine to get it to work.

a zeus is a standalone ecm (not bosch) that destroked builds not cheep at all also not the option i would choose

Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not sure about you guys, but I think I would try to stick the old body on a new chassis. Might still have to use aftermarket gauges to eliminate the use of the newer trucks dash.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also with the 6.7l you would need to put an egr delete on it that removes the cooler as well. and make sure you put a programmer on it that works with the delete kit, like a smarty or something. If you do us the 6.7l I would put a programmer on it that will advance timing as well as more full less smoke that way and more power gains. I not sure if the zeus would need the programmer or not I have not herd of it.

I think your better of just building the 12v, less money and less making wiring work. put if you still want the 6.7l it can be computer tuned and stock the manuals make around 600 to 700hp and the automatics have 800hp.

Quick Reply: 6.7L into 1st Gen How Hard???