1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

desperate for professional help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default desperate for professional help!

i just did the head gasket on my truck 2 weeks ago and havent driven it until tonight but i have been running it. the valve adjustment is good (pretty sure) but the truck constantly smokes white idle,rev or driving. when it revs it turns gray and i held my hand on one of the stacks and it has fuel coming out in liquid form after it has been run thorugh the engine. i replaced an injector that i thought it was bad on cylinder 6 and still has no difference in the way it runs, and it will not rev up when its being driven. the misfire is on cylinder 6 and when i went to turn the motor by hand tonight with the cylinder 1 valve cover off it sounded like it was leaking compression and a hissing noise came though the valves on the compression stroke. if anyone that lives on L.I, NY that can help please please help me i cannot afford to pay shop prices so im stuck with out a vehicle for over a month now and cannot find out what the problem is!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

anybody??

well thanks to a neighbor of mine who is a diesel mechanic and does these motors for a living he came by and looked at the truck and i asked him if the timing could be off and he smiled and said your right on them money (being only 17 he was shocked). when i took the head off a friend of mine rotated the engine for cylinder #1 to be on TDC for the valve adjustment to be easier, not realizing that would throw off the timing. now for the question does anyone have a write up or video demo on doing the timing on a ve cummins?

Last edited by jdbigblue12v; 05-26-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

I just saw your post my first thought is timing. Only thing I can say for timing is find top dead center on you tInjection pump gear knock it loose and then put the motor in top dead center on Cylinder one, and go from there. Contact RAWWilliams he might have a write up for you to use.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Diesel Wrench

i was told tonight by another diesel tech that i its not the cam timing or pump but it is the valve timing> i was told i need to "time the valves" which i dont know what that means?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Diesel Bomber

Adjust the valves??? to time the valves you have to time the cam, because the cam is ran by the crank thru gears and the valves are ran by pushrods from the cam and injectors are ran from the pump thru gears and the from cover... So if you have to time anything you have to time all of it. If you have diesel comming out in liquid form your timing to late, so you need to advance the timing before TDC its suppose to be 16 to 18 degress before top dead center, I need to double check their specs. But from the sounds of it your timing off at the injection pump? What you may end up doing is pulling you front cover on put the truck in top dead center on number one and see if all your timing marks line up, if not the you need to get them lined up. Luckily all you have to do to get access to the Front cover is remove the radiator and intercooler, and hamonic dampner and all the bolts to the front cover you gonna need a front cover gasket and crank shaft seal.

Also the leaking noise should be coming out of the exhaust which is the second valve

1- I 2-E 3-I 4-E 5-I 6-E 7-I 8-E 9-I 10-E 11-I 12-E
Front of motor to back I- Intake E- Exhaust.

Last edited by RanchhandTCR; 05-28-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

- Removing the head has no effect on the injection timing. Rotating the engine while the head is off changes nothing.

- Unless you've been into the gear-case pulling things apart, then there's no issue with the Cam-Timing.

- The VE injection pump's gear is located with a key. If you've not removed the pump-gear, then there's no issue with the pump timing. The only way to alter the injection timing is to loosen the three bolts on the injection-pump and the one on the support-bracket, and rotate the injection-pump.

To the original poster:
- Are you 100% sure you've got the fuel injector feedlines installed in the correct order and feeding the correct injector?
- Did you mess with the injection-pump at all? (If No, fine).

** People who don't know about how the VE injection pump works and is installed, shouldn't be offering advice to others on how to work on one.

Last edited by BC847; 05-28-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Diesel Wrench

i know for a fact that the injection pump is fine so i will go over the injection lines and see if that fixes my problem i am almost 99% sure they are fed into correct lines. where would the white smoke be coming from?

does anyone have a diagram to show what lines go to which cylinder with numbers on them?

Last edited by jdbigblue12v; 05-28-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Diesel Bomber

Im thinking within the lines of timing, but yes that very proabable that lines are mixed up

Old 05-29-2012, 12:24 AM
Diesel Wrench

well lines were off just like BC847 said corrected them runs like a dream! has a little white smoke for first 3 mins of running (my guess it burned off all coolant and plus a new injector) and hasnt smoked white since and i gotta say the hx3w sounds amazing! only issue us the temp sensor is not reading and i dont know what the truck is running at so i need to get a new sensor. all in all the hole head gasket job wasnt hard at all, just very labor intensive and time consuming... anyone with the right set of tools and minimal diesel knowledge can do it. thanks again to everyone for their help every step of the way! much appreciated!!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Diesel Wrench

can anyone show me on a diagram where the engine temperature sensor is i have no reading in the factory guage

Quick Reply: desperate for professional help!