1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Injector prob. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector prob. Need help

Ok to start off with, I'm not a cummins fan. I prefer and own power stroke. But I picked the for a great price. Or so I hope. Its an '89 4x4, single cab, long bed. Has a nice sThe position of the control sleeve controls at what angle the spill port opens, and thus determines the amount of fuel injected, in other words it controls the metering. The control sleeve is moved in response to a combination of accelerator position and engine speed. The latter is determined by a mechanical governor.

ix inch lift with nice big tires. Picked her up for 500$$. The only problem is the injector pump. The pulled it to fix fuel leaks. When he pulled it he didn't lock anything down. So I'm sure if anything has been moved. And not sure if it's a big deal. I have replaced leaky seals. But haven't tried to install yet. Should I be concerned about nothing being locked and with possibility things were moved. Or just go with it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Not ure what happened there. But the crap in the middle shouldn't be there. Please disregard.

Last edited by Short cummins; 05-14-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The key will line the pump up in the gear and all should be well

Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Ok, found the problem. Heard rattles in pump. Didn't think that was good. So I opened up the back and insides exploded. I obviously need a new pump. My next ? Is, will any 1 st gen pump work, or does it have to be an 89 model only. The truck will only be used to go back and forth to work and don't wanna sink a lot $$$ into it. I thinking of locating a good used pump.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah any pump will work but if you get one off a 91.5-93 you need the lines off it aswell and can't hook up the wire on the side of the pump for the cold start device which is not a big deal.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Short cummins
Ok, found the problem. Heard rattles in pump. Didn't think that was good. So I opened up the back and insides exploded. I obviously need a new pump. My next ? Is, will any 1 st gen pump work, or does it have to be an 89 model only. The truck will only be used to go back and forth to work and don't wanna sink a lot $$$ into it. I thinking of locating a good used pump.
It's a good possibility when you removed the pump head the guts fell apart, not that they were already toasted. VE pumps mounted horizontally don't like gravity very much when you take them apart. The rattle you heard was probably just the governor weights movin in the cage or the slack in the governor linkage. Both noises are normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke
Yeah any pump will work but if you get one off a 91.5-93 you need the lines off it aswell and can't hook up the wire on the side of the pump for the cold start device which is not a big deal.
Please explain. I've inerchanged pumps and lines before with no trouble.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 PM

No there were shatters broken parts all inside.