1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Always wanted a cummins. Now I've got one.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Always wanted a cummins. Now I've got one.

Just got back from registering my new (to me) 1989 1st Gen 2wd auto with 165,000 miles. I picked her up for $2000 after countless months of searching for a diesel I could love forever. I do believe I have the one.
Being my first diesel I'm very excited but also nervous for the road ahead. I have done quite a bit of wrenching before on gassers but have very limited diesel experience. I can see that I have a lot to learn.
The PO said that the pump was turned up so i guess that's all I've got for mods so far. I scanned through a lot of stickys and am planning on getting guages and a 3200 spring. I want her to be my daily driver but I still want to do as much of the cheaper power upgrades I can. Not as much cash floating around in my pockets as I would like but right now most of the money has to go into the body. She's pretty rusty, there's a hole in the driver side floor, pipes are all messed up, and she's begging me for some 33's
Well I was driving her home today and I noticed a vibration whenever I was stopped but in drive. It also happens in reverse but it's not as bad. However I did notice that as the truck heated up the vibration got worse. I fear it's the transmission but I want to get a few opinions before I go off and do anything stupid.
Either way I'm very happy with the truck, even with her problems I could listen to her idle all day.

Name:  EprFd.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  173.7 KB

Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice ride dude vibration may just be your u joints, I love the 2wd 1st gens

Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Diesel Fan

Check the trans fluid, or drain and check the filter. It is hard to find a good used 727 for these things! I spent a lot to replace mine and still putting it back togather. Must have been a weak point on the early ones! To switch them out to the newer ones takes a little more time and knowhow! Good Luck and congrats. I now own 2, 6 months ago I was just thinking about getting one. Love that Cummins purrrr.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Diesel Fan

That's a good looking truck. My 93 club cab long bed 2wd dose the same vibration at idle in gear only but it doesn't do it all the time and I haven't had time to mess with it yet.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm working a lot right now but the next chance I get I will definitely start going through and checking all the fluids and u-joints. Yesterday was the first time anyone has asked me to shut off my truck at a drive thru so they could hear what I was saying. Even the girlfriend is starting to like her.

The following users liked this post:
Cody Holt (04-15-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Diesel Fan

Can't help but smile when they run !

Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks good. My wife hated my first gen at first but when I was done she loved it and had a harder time than me watching it go when I sold it.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice pick up... literally!

Contact me if you need any helps or tips with that Cummins.

Dave

Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

That vibration might be that stupid exhaust mount it uses one of the lower bellhousing bolts and can vibrate if your just in gear not moving or flexed at all.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the find! Those non intercooled trucks will run pretty hard when cranked up. I would change the throttle and return spring linkages and get rid of the high idle screw before you do the 3200 spring, doing the throttle mod will gain 500rpm or so just by itself. You should be close to 250-300rwhp with just a stock turned up truck. Do a google search for Project Rust Bucket to see my upgrade path. And again, welcome!

Quick Reply: Always wanted a cummins. Now I've got one.