1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

1st gen died and won't start back

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st gen died and won't start back

Year of truck: 1991 Dodge W250

Motor: IC 12 valve

Cab/bed configuration: Regular cab long wheel base.

Mods: I think the pump has been pulled to the head to advance the timing.

Anything you've done recently: Nothing pertaining.

How is the truck primarily used: work/trail truck

When did the issue start, and if it's intermittent or all the time: Yesterday afternoon. I cranked it up and was pulling out of my driveway. I pushed the skinny pedal and it just wasn't going and then it cut off. The truck is ratty with no gauges so I was thinking it had run out of diesel. I went to town and got some and dumped it in. I primed the pump and it didn't feel like it had any resistance. I took off the fuel filter and it is full. I'm leaning towards the fuel solenoid. It is getting power but it doesn't even try to hit. It just seems like if the filter is full and it is pumping fuel then it should start. I always thought when the solenoid went bad that the truck would stay on. Thanks for all the help ahead of time.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you need to crack the injectors open and crank the enigne. do 2 at a time and tighten and etc... you have air in the lines and that will not allow it to start.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed on the priming process, but it could be the shut off solenoid. Not sure what happens to most people but mine woulndt start, or sometimes would quit when it failed. You can remove the solenoid from the pump and take the plunger and spring out of it then re install it empty. It wont be able to shut it self off after that, but there is a lever on the front of the pump that you can operate
to shut it off.its easy to do and would rule it out as a possibility. I have a choke cable on mine to shut it off.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it is the shut off solenoid. I can't really feel it clicking and when I cracked the injector line no fuel was coming out. How in the world do you get that solenoid out? There isn't much room for a wrench.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the bracket off the holds the throttle cable and trans throttle pressure cable and that will make it a little more accessible. Its still tough to get out without rounding it off.