1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Fuel shut off solenoid shorted to ground..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel shut off solenoid shorted to ground..

My 92 2500 2wd died after my wife started it , and there was nothing when she turned the key, well after taking a look at it one of the fusible links was done, so I replaced it with a fuse...as soon as I turned the key all the way to the start position it would blow the fuse. I have traced it to the shut off sol., if I disconnect the wires the truck will crank over fine but wont start, I assume because the sol. is stuck in the position and blocking any fuel from getting to the engine. The sol. appears to be completely shorted out, as I get continuity from both of the connectors to ground...so I guess it has fried internally somehow? Anyone ever seen or heard of this? From the reading I have been doing on here, it seems that when it fails it just wont let you turn it off. I am gonna remove it and try and gut it and put a cable on ,but am really curious if anyone else has seen this? Oh and does anyone know what size wrench I will need to try and get it off? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has failed twice, but it has never blown fuses like that. It sounds like it just plain failed. I have pretty much just given up on them. I removed the solenoid, took out the plunger, then re installed it. This way it can't shut off on its own. I used a choke cable, and mounted a **** under the steering wheel to shut it off. Can't seem to remember what size wrench though. I kept a big adjustable with me before I put the cable on because they seemed to fail when I was doing something important with it.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

There's two wires plugged into the fss try unplugging the one facing to the drivers side of the truck n see what happens.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Diesel Fan

mine also failed when i turned the pump up. i now use a choke cable also. kinda pain but if your doing mods its the only way to go

Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by gregt1989
mine also failed when i turned the pump up. i now use a choke cable also. kinda pain but if your doing mods its the only way to go
I ground the plastic tip on mine down from one of the stickies over at dtr n haven't had a problem yet.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Diesel Fan

how much mods do you have though? im running a lot of fuel and it just rips them apart. when i did my ddp injectors i found the rubber got sucked through the pump and was on my first injector blocking it

Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by gregt1989
how much mods do you have though? im running a lot of fuel and it just rips them apart. when i did my ddp injectors i found the rubber got sucked through the pump and was on my first injector blocking it
That's why you grind the tip of the rubber off so it can't break off. Here's my mods. 100hp injectors, fuel screw cranked, timing bump, starwheel all the way up, 3" stainless banks tbe, fuel pin ground to the max, cai, high idle screw backed out, 16cm turbo housing, making 40psi boost with dual disk clutch

Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Does anyone know how to get the plunger out of the
fuel shutoff solenoid?

Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The plunger should come right out and I mean fall out somewhere into the gravel if your luck's like mine. If you've removed the solenoid and don't see it, it may have fallen down into the pump. It can't go far, a pair of needle nose pliers should fish it out. There should be a small spring with it as well. If it is stuck inside the solenoid, it may be fused and trashed. I think the new solenoid will come with all the parts.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:26 PM

The plunger is in the FSS. Won't pull out. Applying voltage
activates the plunger. The plunger does not retract when
removing voltage source. First symptom was engine would
not shut down, now it won't start at all. This FSS only has
one black wire going to it.

Quick Reply: Fuel shut off solenoid shorted to ground..