1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Some questions, Fuel lift pump/vacuum/timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions, Fuel lift pump/vacuum/timing

Hello,

ive been working on getting my truck all right for a little while now, i bought a pro comp pump and i think its dieing on me, used to push about 14 psi or a little less, now it is around 5-7psi. I don't like it cause i can draw it down to 1 or 2 psi if get in it and you can feel the loss of power,

Ive got 3/8 line from the tank to the IP. I need to buy a filter to put before the next pump i get, I had a small 3/8 inline filter but it was so thin when it got cold out it would gel up badly. It also was a little restrictive. I recently took it off,

my question is what fuel pump do i get without spending $300 or more for a ppe raptor air dogg etc. I want to be able to run 15psi and not drop below 10 psi. I don't remember the flow rating on my pump but i think it is 140gph.

My other question,

I have no vacuum. I took one of the vacuum cans off and when i push the plunger it produces vacuum, I couldn't easily get the bottom one off so i couldn't test it. Im guessing the pump itself is bad, am I right? can somebody explain to me what breaks inside there? I know it is non rebuild able, im just wondering what broke? The truck was like this when i traded for it. I think i may have to replace my booster and master cylinder aswell because the brakes lose their pressure like if you had a bad brake line, All my lines are like new and none leak.

Third question,

I have been wanting to bump my timing, I guy who i talked to had a 91 and he put the head of the pump to the head of the motor. I have read this is not the best thing to do because it increases cylinder pressures by alot. He said that bumping it 1/8" and 1/4" did nothing noticeable. What is your opinion? Will a timing bump lower the egts a little? Ive got a Power stroke intercooler just have to put it in but i the mean time im looking for more power.

Thanks for any help in advance

Kody