1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

rear brakes make high pitch sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear brakes make high pitch sound

so, I had my truck in and the mechanic said he would adjust the rears -- not sure if he actually did it since he didn't charge for it (and who works for free)
Well, the other day, I went through the car wash and when pulling away, a real high pitch sound came from the rear, but the brakes weren't on.
noise for a few seconds, and then went away.
then today, after braking for a light (not a hard or even full stop) right after, same high pitched noise -- then went away after 5 seconds.
Seems like somethings binding.
I wonder if it's the parking brake, since un shut down, I always go to nuetral, the apply parking brake, and then shift to park.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Either that or some brake dust is causing your squeal. Sometimes car washes help a squeal, and other times it makes it worse. I know if I'm washing a vehicle with a pressure washer I blow out the calipers the best I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Springs might be getting weak. Maybe if the guy did adjust them out, he might of went to far and they rubbed and got heated up to where they glazed and now squeak. First guess would be brake dust though, I just tore my drums off last weekend and there was a pile of dust in them.