1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Bad news....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bad news....

well, driving home the other day i noticed my fuel gauge was going to empty pretty fast, thought it was weird and kept driving. About 1 minute later i lose oil pressure and the engine starts running bad and oil starts comin out of somewhere on the left side of the engine, enough to cover the whole underside of my truck, so i stop immediately and shut it off. I check the oil and its way overfull and smells like diesel, not good. So its either the lift pump or injection pump right? And also when i got it home and drained the oil there was alot of metal shaving and a few pieces of metal on the magnet...how much harm do you think may have come to my engine?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

LP fer sure, not sure about the metal. Good luck man.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

The engines genuinely are tough, even if you hurt a bearing somewhere you probably won't notice.

I'd imagine either the front seal on the injection pump or the internal diaphragm on the lift pump.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

But for oil to come out the side of the block... Is the lift pump even attached to the block anymore? Diaphragm goes, that'll explain the diluted oil but the oil actually leaving the block... Unless it filled the crankcase to the point it ran out the crankcase breather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I think it may have popped the front seal out from all the pressure in the crankcase. Oh it also has alot of blowby now

Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the same thing in TX,s oil was coming from the draft tube I caught mine in time & kept changing oil until I found a injection shop I pulled the pump in the parking lot & they put a new seal in that was about 3 years ago. You might try changing the oil a couple times to see if that helps the blow by. Mine leaked so bad it covered the truck & 35foot toy trailer it was dripping off of everything Also oil was pouring out the rear main After all that no blow by & i never touched the rear main still running good to this day.I got lucky

Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well it's the injection pump for sure. As for the oil it blew the seal out on my vacuum pump where it bolts to the front case and somehow loosened the bolts. Also looked at the oil pump and it is pitted pretty bad and had metal flakes in it. So tomorrow I'm pulling the pan to look at bearings and journals

Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stGen1990
Well it's the injection pump for sure. As for the oil it blew the seal out on my vacuum pump where it bolts to the front case and somehow loosened the bolts. Also looked at the oil pump and it is pitted pretty bad and had metal flakes in it. So tomorrow I'm pulling the pan to look at bearings and journals
Talk with a machine shop, can't remember the grit, but a little bit of Emory cloth will clean up any damage (if any) caused. Unless of course its really THAT bad. Most say take a copper penny and scrape it across the journal. If any copper coloration is left behind then it needs to be taken out and polished and measured to see if it needs undersized bearings. But pennies aren't what they used to be and idk if they actually have enough copper in them for this to work anymore . Anyways, little bit of work with some Emory cloth, cleaning the journals up with some brake clean afterwards and then new bearings with assembly lube and I think you'll be back to running down the road. I'd actually look into flushing the engine topside down with something before putting the new bearings in to wash any other possible particles out. Once cleaned up and pan back on; pour the oil in from the top being sure to pour around the push rods to lube the cam and so on. Might be wise for a "break-in oil change" too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk