1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

radiator blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Gas
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you think you could chop in a junkyard unit until you save enough to have your stock one recored? The replacements out there don't seem as heavy in construction as the stock one. You might want to keep the stock one in the garage and have it recored (assuming your tanks are ok).

Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas
Do you think you could chop in a junkyard unit until you save enough to have your stock one recored? The replacements out there don't seem as heavy in construction as the stock one. You might want to keep the stock one in the garage and have it recored (assuming your tanks are ok).
I was going to suggest this but since I have experience toasting radiator supports, unless minimal damage the tanks get ruined right along with the core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I went through the same crap!! My 1st gen sat fer months, No parts store has them. They have been on back order for a couple years. If your tanks are ok, get it re-cored. Put a WTB up, some one will have one. I seen a set of tanks on Ebay, good luck

Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Gas
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your tanks are leaking the process to braze those back to life will be fine so even if you have tanks you think are scrap - the radiator shop may be able to make them work well. The stock radiator metal is so nice and thick. Now would you be against building brackets to swap in a custom radiator out of a junkyard truck?